So much has happened and so little blogging has gotten done. Could there be a connection? Yep. So here's a little more on SXSW, the final days, revolving around what photos I could take before my camera died a horrible death --like all the other electronic devices around me.
The Nice Boys from Portland, Ore., tapped a fun Cheap Trick/Faces vein of pure '70s-era gold. Rawk at the Birdman Records Showcase.
Power rock with extreme volume and lots of melody -- all from a lil' ole threepiece called the Evangelicals. Very fun -- and worth checking into when not studying Bay Area DJ Mike Relm's DVD scratch technique next door at the Blind Pig.
Shows at houses, record stores, boutiques, garages -- one thing you gotta love about SXSW is the way the entire city seems filled with music. Music is oozing out of every corner of its mouth, dripping sloppily all over its chin and into its crotch. And it doesn't care! (Though of course it does care, deeply, about music) These shows were strictly for locals on South First Street -- I came to see Palaxy Tracks.
Ran into John Vanderslice, who only wanted to talk about how much he wanted to get back to SF after touring Europe with Death Cab for Cuties (where they were treated, if not like kings, then well-regarded "court jesters," he chuckled). He performed with Matt from Nada Surf and Rocky Votolato, fellow Barsuk artists, at End of the Ear, a cool vinyl store on South First.
Palaxy Track's guitar player's other project, Octopus Project, headlined in the backyard of Bella Blue boutique nearby. Boys in tights and hot pants played basketball in the driveway.
The music just couldn't stop -- it didn't matter if you couldn't play an instrument and just wanted to play 7-inches on your battery-powered turntables. "Sit and spin" takes on yet another meaning.
Most Commented On
- How would you know that? Can - April 16, 2014
- Privatize it and it - April 16, 2014
- The city must not see parking - April 16, 2014
- I agree with you, I pay rent - April 16, 2014
- Good cop/bad cop - April 16, 2014
- Cynthia never asked me about my views - April 16, 2014
- Muni is not "in the hole" because we do not throw enough - April 16, 2014
- Why is it even a comparison: - April 16, 2014
- Exactly, SFBG, SEIU, the non-profits and the other leftist - April 16, 2014
- Greg has a number of handles and sock puppets that he uses - April 16, 2014