So much has happened and so little blogging has gotten done. Could there be a connection? Yep. So here's a little more on SXSW, the final days, revolving around what photos I could take before my camera died a horrible death --like all the other electronic devices around me.
The Nice Boys from Portland, Ore., tapped a fun Cheap Trick/Faces vein of pure '70s-era gold. Rawk at the Birdman Records Showcase.
Power rock with extreme volume and lots of melody -- all from a lil' ole threepiece called the Evangelicals. Very fun -- and worth checking into when not studying Bay Area DJ Mike Relm's DVD scratch technique next door at the Blind Pig.
Shows at houses, record stores, boutiques, garages -- one thing you gotta love about SXSW is the way the entire city seems filled with music. Music is oozing out of every corner of its mouth, dripping sloppily all over its chin and into its crotch. And it doesn't care! (Though of course it does care, deeply, about music) These shows were strictly for locals on South First Street -- I came to see Palaxy Tracks.
Ran into John Vanderslice, who only wanted to talk about how much he wanted to get back to SF after touring Europe with Death Cab for Cuties (where they were treated, if not like kings, then well-regarded "court jesters," he chuckled). He performed with Matt from Nada Surf and Rocky Votolato, fellow Barsuk artists, at End of the Ear, a cool vinyl store on South First.
Palaxy Track's guitar player's other project, Octopus Project, headlined in the backyard of Bella Blue boutique nearby. Boys in tights and hot pants played basketball in the driveway.
The music just couldn't stop -- it didn't matter if you couldn't play an instrument and just wanted to play 7-inches on your battery-powered turntables. "Sit and spin" takes on yet another meaning.
Most Commented On
- Car parts are very delegate - May 23, 2013
- "The people you describe" ... - May 23, 2013
- I already saw many blogs but - May 23, 2013
- "Manhattanization" is not what makes a town boring! - May 22, 2013
- SF Pride's board demonstrated - May 22, 2013
- Sad. You must be in a really - May 22, 2013
- Bridging the gap between homelessness and function-ability - May 22, 2013
- Means Testing would be fair, - May 22, 2013
- ahhh.., such a magical - May 22, 2013
- Pets are one of the most - May 22, 2013