Taxes, zits, and coffee breath - these things are eternal. Add to that list "Rock 'n' Roll Bingo" at Blankspace in Oakland on Sept. 1. This third installment of the Oakland Art Murmur event featured the Bay's winning bro-duo Moore Brothers and Santa Cruz chamber-goofers Antarctica Takes It (Bookends canceled, shoot). Most amazing - this writer took home an awesome prize (a fine alternative to the unicorn thrift scores): a tote bag design original by artist Tonya Solley Thornton. Bingo, indeed.
Game? All photos by Kimberly Chun
A few days later on Sept. 5, we stopped by Great American Music Hall to catch Marc Ribot's Ceramic Dog (with longtime local Ches Smith on drums) and our pals Deerhoof.
Onetime guitarist-bassist Chris Cohen will be missed, but man, has John Dieterich stepped up, big time. The 'Hoofies are approaching their songs from new, streamlined angles. Awesome, as usual. Before the show, drummer Greg Saunier had tales to tell from the road and Radiohead (Jonny Greenwood did their lights on their last show together in Europe, Saunier said).
Deerhoof was off to LA right after the show, he added, to finish mixing their forthcoming new album, Friend Opportunity, which the band worked on while out with Radiohead (it's scheduled to come out Jan. 23, 2007). Next it was off to tour the East Coast with Flaming Lips.
When will we see Greg, Satomi, and John again? Not soon - the trio was also in LA recording and co-composing a score for Justin Theroux's new film, Dedication, starring Billy Crudup, Mandy Moore, Tom Wilkinson, and Amy Sedaris. And a Milk Man ballet, inspired by the Deerhoof album, is in the works in October at the North Haven Community School in North Haven, Maine. Their likes won't be seen again till Nov. 11 at RIOTT! at Bill Graham Civic. So count yourself lucky, Deerhoofies, that you saw 'em before they scampered off into the wilds again.
Most Commented On
- The numbers alone are misleading because they do not allow - March 9, 2014
- The problem with private - March 9, 2014
- So Greg admits that SF is full of people who cannot function - March 9, 2014
- Look at it this way, Snoozers - March 9, 2014
- The issue isn't whether poetry is worthwhile but rather why - March 9, 2014
- So you're saying marcos is just like a driver? - March 9, 2014
- Class based envy politics doesn't sit well with most voters - March 9, 2014
- When you cannot defeat an opponent then - March 9, 2014
- oBaVKmYrxmf - March 9, 2014
- Another new to town progressive. - March 9, 2014