Y'know we all think Lady Sovereign seems like a tough little cookie but geez, she was all tears at the Mezzanine Tuesday night, Nov. 14. Griping that she couldn't hear herself in the monitors (her bus was also an hour late due to a breakdown), she sat down a song or two in and held her hands and apologized for being "diva-ish." Poor kid. And too bad for the tough dance girls all around me who seemed superpsyched to get some Sovereign ack-shun.
Lady Sovereign is killing us softly with her lack of song.
All photos by Kimberly Chun
But before that show, this past weekend, Nov. 10-12, was all about the beauty of Budget Rock at Stork Club -- and damn if that wasn't the bestest BR yet with incredible performances by Guilty Hearts, the Shrugs, Original Sins (Brother JT sang barefoot -- and was that the raddest, weirdest cover of "I Want Candy" ever?), SLA, and the Omens (pictured below). It was as if each band was taking the previous combo's crazed performance to heart and was determined to go that much further into total garage-rockin' madness. If every night could only be Budget Rock night...
The Omens rip it up at Budget Rock Nov. 10.
Most Commented On
- Steven, when the cost per ride is wildly higher than much bigger - July 24, 2014
- You always make that remark when you have no response. - July 24, 2014
- No, Yo, there is no significant difference between the two - July 24, 2014
- Not overfunded - July 24, 2014
- lol - July 24, 2014
- Guest, I see where you are heading, and... - July 24, 2014
- Of course he does - July 24, 2014
- Same with the SF Green Party - ovewhelmingly white - July 24, 2014
- Yeah, but if you have really good tech skills why would you ever - July 24, 2014
- Why didn't the author give a breakdown by eye color or - July 24, 2014