Our best wishes go out to the Coup and Mr. Lif, who were in a frightening bus crash on Dec. 2. The Bay Area hip-hop band's vehicle flipped and caught fire in Imperial, Calif., at 3:50 a.m. after a Friday night performance at the House of Blues. Now the Coup may have to cancel the rest of its tour with Lif.
Boots in better times. Credit: Alexander Warnow
Epitaph issued a press release stating: All occupants managed to get off of the bus before it became engulfed in flames and were transported to El Centro Regional Medical Center. However, Silk-E, Mr. Lif’s DJ, Wiz, the group’s bus driver, Glenn, incurred severe injuries requiring them to be flown to hospitals in San Diego and Palm Springs. Silk-E suffered several broken ribs and a punctured lung and Wiz suffered a deep laceration to the head and a broken leg.
The tour’s merchandise person, Zhana, sustained a severe hand laceration and was transported by ambulance to San Diego. Despite losing all of their possessions in the fire – including laptops, clothes, equipment, cell phones and cash – the rest of the bus occupants walked away with minor bruises, cuts, scrapes and are doing OK.
The Coup had been en route to a Saturday night performance at Chasers in Scottsdale, Arizona.
El P of Def Jux Records reported on his label site:
We finally spoke to Boots today to confirm. On Saturday, Dec 2, the Coup/Mr. Lif tour bus went over a cliff and crashed/caught on fire/exploded. Thankfully, everyone aboard the bus survived. The remaining tour dates are canceled, and everyone needs to concentrate on recovery before they will be rescheduled. We are currently trying to iron out details of benefit shirts to help offset the medical costs for those involved. In the meantime, please purchase the Coup and Mr. Lif shirts, as all proceeds from these will be donated to the artists. If you don't see your size, the Coup shirts will be restocked within the next two days.
Most Commented On
- Most people know to be good neighbors. - December 8, 2013
- The 19th St units were exceptional and went for $1400 psf. - December 8, 2013
- So, if the population of SF is 800,000 then what you are saying - December 8, 2013
- Who gets to define the "Mission community" You? - December 8, 2013
- Valencia Corridor Prices Start at $1.5 mil - December 8, 2013
- Seriously - December 8, 2013
- In an Entitlement Process, There is Only One Party - December 8, 2013
- Nice job of not answering my question. - December 8, 2013
- Conditions of Approval are Routine - December 8, 2013
- So true, about 80% of posts here are pure envy. - December 8, 2013