Ever find yourself sitting round, twiddling your 10 thumbs, then you toss a CD with so-so cover art on the ole player, and then you stop, do a double take on the name and the art and realize: I like this. Who are these people and where have they been all my life?
Due to the constant influx of mail at the office, that happens to me all the time - I'm glad to say. And the latest band that made me feel those special feelings, once again, is LA's Broken West, who have a new Merge album, I Can’t Go On, I’ll Go On out right now.
Originally called the Brokedown (another band in Chicago inadvertently put the kibosh on that handle), the Broken West make indie pop that wouldn't be out of line in the small but growing pile of January listenables that includes the latest by the Shins, Lewis Taylor, and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. See if they pass your own high standards for tuneful indie when the band plays on Monday, Feb. 5, at Cafe du Nord, SF.
Most Commented On
- Magnetic, Dynamic, Fully Present, Approachable - July 12, 2014
- Agreed - and public transit and its improvement is vital - July 12, 2014
- Just be more "discriminating" when renting. - July 12, 2014
- Guardian endorsements - July 12, 2014
- how i got my boyfriend back - July 12, 2014
- That's not the point. The - July 12, 2014
- only a true believer - July 12, 2014
- GOOD! - July 12, 2014
- Was the graphic design on this done in 1995 - July 12, 2014
- A Link - July 12, 2014