All hail the promiscuous creative and collaborative imagination of Chelonis R. Jones. He recently teamed up with Marc Romboy on the sick single “Helen Cornell,” a slice of voice-over-beats that is bettered only by Jones’s “Black Sabrina” in terms of fierceness. (There has never been a spoken track as fierce as “Black Sabrina.”) Jones singing is even better than Jones speaking, especially on tracks such as "One and One" and "I Don't Know?," which he put together with Booka Shade, who are due at Mezzanine soon.
His own website is a feast of tracks, paintings and other stimuli, and Chelonis recently debuted his MySpace page, which features an article I wrote about his amazing debut Dislocated Genius, as well as some preview tracks from his next album, Chatterton. (Check out “Pompadour” -- amazing.) The time seemed right for Mr. Jones to list some of his favorite albums. “I wanted to tell someone about all these,” he said during a recent phone chat. “People always think I have all these techno gods on my list of favorites, when really it’s far from that.”
1. The Smiths, Hatful of Hollow (Warner Bros./Rough Trade)
"I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it. My favorite song from the album is “Still Ill.”"
2. Throbbing Gristle, 20 Jazz Funk Greats (Mute)
"So dislocated. Brilliant."
3. Roxy Music, For Your Pleasure (Virgin)
"Amanda Lear looks fabulous on the black-on-black cover – first transsexual on an album cover?"
4. Felt, Crumbling the Antiseptic Beauty (Creation)
"Indie heroes to the hilt."
5. Miles Davis, Ascensceur pour l’Échafaud aka Elevator to the Gallows (Fontana)
"From 1957 -- if you get a hold of it, please buy it."
6. Nina Simone, Four Women: The Philips Recordings (Verve)
"Nothing needs to be said."
7. Alice Coltrane, Monastic Trio (Grp)
"You like that too, right?"
8. Bauhaus, Mask (Beggars Banquet)
"Best artwork of all time."
9. Siouxsie and the Banshees, Kaleidoscope (Ume)
"Loud and fierce to the rim."
10. Donovan, Sunshine Superman (EMI)
"Last but not least."
Most Commented On
- this doesn't even make sense - July 24, 2014
- You Are Really In LaLa Land There - July 24, 2014
- Cities Are Green - July 24, 2014
- what are you talking about? - July 24, 2014
- Sufi community to protest designer of outrageously horrible 80s - July 24, 2014
- zHOiTkpAtDHHzuCaiz - July 24, 2014
- Cash backwards - July 24, 2014
- H. Brown: Goodbye to all that, we hope - July 24, 2014
- What's wrong with natural grass? - July 24, 2014
- LLMxtCiXZq - July 24, 2014