All hail the promiscuous creative and collaborative imagination of Chelonis R. Jones. He recently teamed up with Marc Romboy on the sick single “Helen Cornell,” a slice of voice-over-beats that is bettered only by Jones’s “Black Sabrina” in terms of fierceness. (There has never been a spoken track as fierce as “Black Sabrina.”) Jones singing is even better than Jones speaking, especially on tracks such as "One and One" and "I Don't Know?," which he put together with Booka Shade, who are due at Mezzanine soon.
His own website is a feast of tracks, paintings and other stimuli, and Chelonis recently debuted his MySpace page, which features an article I wrote about his amazing debut Dislocated Genius, as well as some preview tracks from his next album, Chatterton. (Check out “Pompadour” -- amazing.) The time seemed right for Mr. Jones to list some of his favorite albums. “I wanted to tell someone about all these,” he said during a recent phone chat. “People always think I have all these techno gods on my list of favorites, when really it’s far from that.”
1. The Smiths, Hatful of Hollow (Warner Bros./Rough Trade)
"I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it. My favorite song from the album is “Still Ill.”"
2. Throbbing Gristle, 20 Jazz Funk Greats (Mute)
"So dislocated. Brilliant."
3. Roxy Music, For Your Pleasure (Virgin)
"Amanda Lear looks fabulous on the black-on-black cover – first transsexual on an album cover?"
4. Felt, Crumbling the Antiseptic Beauty (Creation)
"Indie heroes to the hilt."
5. Miles Davis, Ascensceur pour l’Échafaud aka Elevator to the Gallows (Fontana)
"From 1957 -- if you get a hold of it, please buy it."
6. Nina Simone, Four Women: The Philips Recordings (Verve)
"Nothing needs to be said."
7. Alice Coltrane, Monastic Trio (Grp)
"You like that too, right?"
8. Bauhaus, Mask (Beggars Banquet)
"Best artwork of all time."
9. Siouxsie and the Banshees, Kaleidoscope (Ume)
"Loud and fierce to the rim."
10. Donovan, Sunshine Superman (EMI)
"Last but not least."
Most Commented On
- Not sure my message worked: - July 12, 2014
- Not a SNF. Try St Anne's - July 12, 2014
- Re: why not a nursing home in the city? - July 12, 2014
- Ride-"sharing" is a fake - July 12, 2014
- Magnetic, Dynamic, Fully Present, Approachable - July 12, 2014
- Agreed - and public transit and its improvement is vital - July 12, 2014
- Just be more "discriminating" when renting. - July 12, 2014
- Guardian endorsements - July 12, 2014
- how i got my boyfriend back - July 12, 2014
- That's not the point. The - July 12, 2014