By Todd Lavoie
I'd always enjoyed Maria McKee's former band, the under-appreciated rootsy rockers Lone Justice, but my moment of conversion--- much like it was for countless others, I'd wager--- arrived in the form of her contribution to the Pulp Fiction soundtrack, "If Love is a Red Dress (Hang Me in Rags)."
Love is... Maria McKee. All images courtesy of www.mariamckee.com.
After I finished collecting the pieces of my heart from the floor at the song's end, I swore true to McKee's transcendent blue-eyed, countrified soul, and that was that. If you too are hopelessly addicted to Dusty Springfield's Dusty in Memphis and are seeking another avenue for getting your fix, McKee is the clear choice. For further proof, check out her incendiary cover of signature Dusty tune "I Can't Make It Alone."
Maria McKee plays with Victor Krummenacher Sunday, July 8, 8 p.m., at Café du Nord, 2170 Market, SF. $20. (415) 861-5016.
Most Commented On
- Student protesters file claim against City College and SF - July 24, 2014
- Cash backwards - July 24, 2014
- Greg join Walmart investors - July 24, 2014
- Beach Chalet Ballot Initiative - July 24, 2014
- The US spends billions to fight Ebola and Marburg too - July 24, 2014
- BUgBvGEJFp - July 24, 2014
- And yet Israel spends millions to fight it. - July 24, 2014
- Your Imagination - July 24, 2014
- It's a complicated issue - July 24, 2014
- this doesn't even make sense - July 24, 2014