By Kimberly Chun
Talk about an unrelenting burst of creativity: San Francisco indie rock band Loquat will be going for broke with its May residency at Cafe du Nord. Vocalist-guitarist Kylee Swenson told me the group is attempting to make each show special, with visuals arranged by the mysterious Kernel Panic, special guests like Raul Sanchez of Penny Arcade, and special DJs like Ted of BAGel Radio. “I just hope it works!” she said by phone. “It could be a total disaster!” As we spoke, Loquat was still tweaking the blend of performers and stage sets.
The group hasn't been slacking on working on music, either: it has 20 songs written for its next full-length - though don't expect Loquat to share its latest tunes yet. "We’re still in the incubator stage," Swenson explained.
Other projects in the works: Junior Sanchez and AmpLive are remixing “Harder Hit” and “Sit Sideways,” respectively, and Swensen is planning to collaborate with Nortec Collaborative’s Bostich who Loquat met at the Treasure Island fest. The ensemble is also plotting to make a few more videos for its latest album, said Swenson. "We're definitely giving a lot of love to Secrets of the Sea [Talking House, 2008]." Sounds like it's time to take a bite of the band, at its ripest.
Thursdays in May
Begins with Head like a Kite, Greycoats and DJ Elise
Thurs/7, 9 p.m., $10
Cafe du Nord
2170 Market, SF
Most Commented On
- Great list, Lilli - May 25, 2013
- I don't think Chicago says - May 25, 2013
- marcos? can we bring marcos back to sic on this putative - May 25, 2013
- I think I know which building he is talking about - May 25, 2013
- Your LL sounds like a nice guy but then again he probably - May 25, 2013
- "hometown hero" - May 25, 2013
- In a free market, I'd agree, it wouldn't matter what a tenant - May 25, 2013
- I'm neither exaggerating nor - May 25, 2013
- Either form of the verb is acceptable. - May 25, 2013
- Or it shows Starchild is actually an agent..... - May 25, 2013