By Kimberly Chun
San Franwindy – that’s what we call you around the house while you’re busy blowing your butt off. It’s time to take refuge in musicland – here are some shows that didn’t get swept off our radar.
Dreamy, chill, and, natch, cinematic – that’s the sound of the year-old SF trio and its trip-hop- and alt-rock-laced new debut EP. With Maggie Morris and Ghosties. Sun/23, 9 p.m., $6. Hemlock Tavern, 1131 Polk, SF. (415) 923-0923.
The SF singer-songwriter unveils his new long-player, live and track by track, alongside Ernest “Boom Boom” Carter, Rusty Miller, and Tom Ayres at “Let Freedom Ring.” Expect the proceedings to be properly documented, with Kelley Stoltz behind the wheels o’ steel. Oh, yeah, and kids wanna know: will there be Donkey Kong? Sun/23, 8 p.m., $10. Knockout, 3223 Mission, SF. (415) 550-6994.
Destroyer of all rom-coms? Behind the mild-mannered gaze of a prospective sweetheart lies, perhaps, a bone-sawing sadist, as Gilman’s free movie night tries out Takashi Miike’s hybrid romance-horror (or, rather, horror-of-romance) flick. Tue/25, 7:30 p.m., free. 924 Gilman, Berk. www.924gilman.org
Fruit Bats and Death Vessel
Eric Johnson’s Fruity proj is sorely underappreciated, despite the many charms of its indie pop. And don’t forget: reedy folkster Joel Thibodeau loves his horchata. Fruit Bats appear Tues/25, 6 p.m., free Amoeba Music, 1855 Haight, SF. (415) 831-1200. Fruit Bats and Death Vessel play with A B and the Sea Tues/25, 8 p.m., $12-$14. Independent, 628 Divisadero, SF. (415) 771-1421.
Most Commented On
- No, Greg, I'm not saying that you should join the trolls. - March 16, 2014
- Same dealio either way. - March 16, 2014
- That's in the Mish. - March 16, 2014
- Ah, so you admit you referred to an alleged conspiracy that was - March 16, 2014
- So you're saying I should join the trolls - March 16, 2014
- Yes I am denying that - March 16, 2014
- Nobody gives a crap about your Che fantasies, Greg. - March 16, 2014
- Calling yourself "Greg" is no different than calling yourself - March 16, 2014
- Greg, are you seriously denying that you accused the Ed Lee - March 16, 2014
- I didn't know there were 15 million Venezuelans - March 16, 2014