By Kimberly Chun
San Franwindy – that’s what we call you around the house while you’re busy blowing your butt off. It’s time to take refuge in musicland – here are some shows that didn’t get swept off our radar.
Dreamy, chill, and, natch, cinematic – that’s the sound of the year-old SF trio and its trip-hop- and alt-rock-laced new debut EP. With Maggie Morris and Ghosties. Sun/23, 9 p.m., $6. Hemlock Tavern, 1131 Polk, SF. (415) 923-0923.
The SF singer-songwriter unveils his new long-player, live and track by track, alongside Ernest “Boom Boom” Carter, Rusty Miller, and Tom Ayres at “Let Freedom Ring.” Expect the proceedings to be properly documented, with Kelley Stoltz behind the wheels o’ steel. Oh, yeah, and kids wanna know: will there be Donkey Kong? Sun/23, 8 p.m., $10. Knockout, 3223 Mission, SF. (415) 550-6994.
Destroyer of all rom-coms? Behind the mild-mannered gaze of a prospective sweetheart lies, perhaps, a bone-sawing sadist, as Gilman’s free movie night tries out Takashi Miike’s hybrid romance-horror (or, rather, horror-of-romance) flick. Tue/25, 7:30 p.m., free. 924 Gilman, Berk. www.924gilman.org
Fruit Bats and Death Vessel
Eric Johnson’s Fruity proj is sorely underappreciated, despite the many charms of its indie pop. And don’t forget: reedy folkster Joel Thibodeau loves his horchata. Fruit Bats appear Tues/25, 6 p.m., free Amoeba Music, 1855 Haight, SF. (415) 831-1200. Fruit Bats and Death Vessel play with A B and the Sea Tues/25, 8 p.m., $12-$14. Independent, 628 Divisadero, SF. (415) 771-1421.
Most Commented On
- No, because most successful people do not cause any problems - June 18, 2013
- Richmondman, obviously if the SFH is a post-79 build then the - June 18, 2013
- The UK corporate tax rate is 21%. In Ireland it's 10%. - June 18, 2013
- Or what about that alleged 20 million lawsuit win? - June 18, 2013
- Sounds to me like an explanation, not an excuse. - June 18, 2013
- It's not the end of the world if someone somewhere - June 18, 2013
- wow. some of you are really - June 18, 2013
- In-laws are not subject to Rent Control - June 18, 2013
- Who is putting their family - June 18, 2013
- I really wish Bruce had given some of the $1.8 million - June 18, 2013