(Death by Audio)
By Kimberly Chun
Grooms is a slightly better name than Muggabears, the moniker of vocalist-guitarist Travis Johnson’s original teenaged bedroom recording project -- it errs on the side of blah-blankness rather than cute-grotesquerie. Regardless, **Rejoicer** makes me want to look for Johnson in the future.
Sonic Youth and its **Speed Trials** ilk are the touchstones here -- from the refined, sensuous use of carefully controlled noise blasts to Johnson’s smudgy, adolescent yowl -- while the addition of drummer Jim Sykes conjures thoughts of his former combo Parts and Labor. It’s as if the threesome were on a treasure hunt for junked beauty among the grunge era’s corroded metal salvage shop -- with breaks for twanging, seductively supple guitar torture -- and listening to this thoughtfully assembled collection of songs, I’d say they’ve found what they were searching for.
Most Commented On
- Your repulsive. - May 22, 2013
- Lil Reese - May 22, 2013
- Oro11 and Shawn Reynaldo - May 22, 2013
- Xorauguynagazsy - May 22, 2013
- What is "staggering expense" if City doesn't repair potholes? - May 22, 2013
- Enjoy our clothing free lifestyle! - May 22, 2013
- Are you Single and a Nudist? - May 22, 2013
- nudist dating - May 22, 2013
- Public employee unions suck... - May 21, 2013
- interesting - May 21, 2013