After braving crummy weather and the odd timing of her Sunday night show, I finally got to see my new favorite female rapper K.Flay live. To be honest, K.Flay a San Franciscan by way of Illinois, is way more than just a rapper. She makes her own beats, mash-ups, and plays guitar, in addition to rocking a mic and a party.
I originally stumbled across her mixtape "Mashed Potatoes," a 12 song mash-up album in which she tweaked some classics for exciting results. Put it in your CD player while driving across the Bay Bridge and you'll discover that a Red Hot Chili Peppers' classic was ripe for K.Flay's interpetation in "On the Bridge." She also flips Eminem's "Crack a Bottle," as a dedication to her favorite drink, Vanilla Coke (in a bottle not a can).
The show had a pretty good turnout for a rainy Sunday night. While I showed up a little late, K.Flay already had the crowd jumping around by switching off between rapping, making live beats, and playing guitar. Despite a few technical difficulties, she moved the show along, held the crowd's attention, and kept her cool at the same time. Go, K.Flay.
Most Commented On
- Wait a minute, Ed and Rose - August 1, 2014
- Yes, we should invest - August 1, 2014
- Then why not just say, give - August 1, 2014
- mkfRCeZzcNULzukofHn - August 1, 2014
- Muni only recoups 20% of its costs anyway - August 1, 2014
- You didn't read the memo. - August 1, 2014
- Since you do not live in D8, marcos - August 1, 2014
- The Central Subway is the most important transit project in - August 1, 2014
- You should have known right out of the gate Lee a typical pol - August 1, 2014
- We all supported Ed Lee, of course, else he would not have - August 1, 2014