After braving crummy weather and the odd timing of her Sunday night show, I finally got to see my new favorite female rapper K.Flay live. To be honest, K.Flay a San Franciscan by way of Illinois, is way more than just a rapper. She makes her own beats, mash-ups, and plays guitar, in addition to rocking a mic and a party.
I originally stumbled across her mixtape "Mashed Potatoes," a 12 song mash-up album in which she tweaked some classics for exciting results. Put it in your CD player while driving across the Bay Bridge and you'll discover that a Red Hot Chili Peppers' classic was ripe for K.Flay's interpetation in "On the Bridge." She also flips Eminem's "Crack a Bottle," as a dedication to her favorite drink, Vanilla Coke (in a bottle not a can).
The show had a pretty good turnout for a rainy Sunday night. While I showed up a little late, K.Flay already had the crowd jumping around by switching off between rapping, making live beats, and playing guitar. Despite a few technical difficulties, she moved the show along, held the crowd's attention, and kept her cool at the same time. Go, K.Flay.
Most Commented On
- San francisco is complaining - December 9, 2013
- Don't Be Evil - December 9, 2013
- Self promotion is strongly indicated - December 9, 2013
- Mountain View, Mountain View, - December 9, 2013
- The word is Idiocracy - December 9, 2013
- animal onesie - December 9, 2013
- Perhaps You Need a Drama Critic - December 9, 2013
- Well bright people would not - December 9, 2013
- Love it - December 9, 2013
- no. he said slapped. Nobody - December 9, 2013