After braving crummy weather and the odd timing of her Sunday night show, I finally got to see my new favorite female rapper K.Flay live. To be honest, K.Flay a San Franciscan by way of Illinois, is way more than just a rapper. She makes her own beats, mash-ups, and plays guitar, in addition to rocking a mic and a party.
I originally stumbled across her mixtape "Mashed Potatoes," a 12 song mash-up album in which she tweaked some classics for exciting results. Put it in your CD player while driving across the Bay Bridge and you'll discover that a Red Hot Chili Peppers' classic was ripe for K.Flay's interpetation in "On the Bridge." She also flips Eminem's "Crack a Bottle," as a dedication to her favorite drink, Vanilla Coke (in a bottle not a can).
The show had a pretty good turnout for a rainy Sunday night. While I showed up a little late, K.Flay already had the crowd jumping around by switching off between rapping, making live beats, and playing guitar. Despite a few technical difficulties, she moved the show along, held the crowd's attention, and kept her cool at the same time. Go, K.Flay.
Most Commented On
- you mean that screeching idiot - May 22, 2013
- Cultural Texture? What about - May 22, 2013
- I had a 3br flat in 1997 for - May 22, 2013
- You cannot keep raising the - May 22, 2013
- "A study published in 2001 - May 22, 2013
- Brown hair, thank you - May 22, 2013
- and you are just one person, - May 22, 2013
- So where is this increased tax base then? - May 22, 2013
- The same way you keep your job: - May 22, 2013
- I look forward to reading Johnny Angel's - May 22, 2013