Rain, rain go away -- and gird your damp loins for more music than we could fit into print.
The Detroit-bred singer-songwriter sleeps on fire, walks on water, judging from the angelic Magician’s Private Library (XL), produced by her pal Dave Sitek. With Foxtail Somersault and Tortured Genies. Tues/9, 9:30 p.m., $10. Cafe du Nord, 2170 Market, SF. (415) 861-5016.
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
The Bay Area-born band hones a rawer, more rustic sound with a new drummer, Leah Shapiro, and new long-player, Beat the Devil’s Tattoo (Abstract Dragon/Vagrant). With the Whigs (and Cellar Doors Wed/10). Tues/9, 8 p.m., Wed/10, 7:30 p.m., $30. Slim’s, 333 11th St., SF. (415) 522-0333. Wed/10, 6 p.m., free. Amoeba Music, 1855 Haight, SF. (415) 831-1200.
The finest tune with the title “Repulsion” since Dinosaur Jr.’s opens the new American Gong (Kill Rock Stars) by the duo-turned-trio. Wed/10, 8 p.m., $12-$14. Independent, 628 Divisadero, SF. (415) 771-1422.
She’s the sweetest autoharp-strumming songwriter to blow down from Toronto in many a day. Wed/10, 9 p.m., $12. Hotel Utah, 500 Fourth St., SF. (415) 546-6300.
Balkan Beat Box
Gogol playthings will break out those bellydance moves for the gypsy-punk-electronic super-colliding offshoot. Mon/15, 8 p.m., $22.50. Fillmore, 1805 Geary, SF. (415) 346-6000.
Dance is at the root of the Santa Cruz combo, led by capoeira master Papiba Godinho -- and dance they all will at this show celebrating the release of the new self-released Gente! Sat/13, 9 p.m., Independent, 628 Divisadero, SF. (415) 771-1422.
Most Commented On
- Links - May 20, 2013
- Drudge and Huffington seem to do OK. - May 20, 2013
- That's exactly my point! - May 20, 2013
- It's all very well saying that people here "should contribute" - May 20, 2013
- Bloggers aren't journalists - May 20, 2013
- Maybe so, but back when we had far more papers, we did - May 20, 2013
- Cities are communities - May 20, 2013
- Most buildings are tough to retrofit for another use. - May 20, 2013
- Rand had a very clear view of society, and ethics. - May 20, 2013
- First Amendment - May 20, 2013