THE CONSULATE GENERAL
(Circle Into Square)
We loved him when he was creating music under the moniker Boy In Static and I think a few tears may have been shed when Alexander Chen left the Bay and unpacked his instruments in Gothenburg, Sweden. Like anyone who has ever taken residency in that beautiful country, Chen’s creativity has flourished and his new solo project, The Consulate General, is a breath of fresh Nordic air.
The debut album, Person Number, is set to release April 6, so until then, Chen is offering up track one, “What Time Is It Now,” as a beautiful teaser to what’s in store. Cheery and pleasant, this track makes me feel all nice about life, even when a hundred things around me are swirling out of place. Airy, ambient electronics mix and mingle with chimes and bells, while the harmonizing male vocals from Chen and guest vocalist Antoine Bedard (Montag) offer the perfect calm, brushing your hair and tickling your back— that or whatever else puts you at ease.
Besides music, Chen has also been showing his interactive sound art in galleries around the world and to stop us from biting our lips until April, Chen has made a special musical toy for our screens. The playful piece was built using samples from the Person Number track, “On the Run” and is great for afternoons spent hiding under your desk. Just roll your mouse over the pigeons and play away at www.theconsulategeneral.com.
Most Commented On
- I can explain the confusion - May 23, 2013
- You can live far above - May 23, 2013
- Um, it doesn't matter how - May 23, 2013
- As someone who works for the poor - May 23, 2013
- It's not a myth, there's a - May 23, 2013
- Speaking of precious - May 23, 2013
- Renters subsidize homeowners - May 23, 2013
- If selfish people didn't want more - May 23, 2013
- Real estate owning - May 23, 2013
- Here is an example of Mr. - May 23, 2013