Big news on the local metal scene: San Francisco prog-shredders Hammers of Misfortune have just signed to Metal Blade Records. Hot off the Metal Blade press-release telegraph:
"Metal Blade Records is pleased to announce the signing of San Francisco's progressive metal outfit HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE. Metal Blade Records will release four of the band's previous releases in late summer 2010 with a new studio album expected in 2011."
According to the release, the band (conceived as "break-up proof" by band founder John Cobbett) will continue to produce their own albums. Along with Cobbett (who's also in Ludicra) on guitar, Hammers' regular members include Chewy Marzolo on drums (also a member of swingin' side project King City), multi-instrumentalist (keyboards, flute, and haunting vocals) Sigrid Sheie, and bassist Max Barnett (of Old Grandad fame). News to me, thanks to Metal Blade's PR, is that guitarist-vocalist Leila Abdul-Rauf (whose previous band, solid black-metal outfit Saros, is on "indefinite hiatus," according to their Myspace page) has joined the Hammers line-up.
Frankly, I'm stoked -- in a world where far too many shitty, quasi-metal bands get record contracts, this is great news for one of San Francisco's most innovative, talented, hardworking, and (lest we forget) awesomely furious bands. Horns up, Hammers!
Most Commented On
- Remember what started this - July 27, 2014
- Go back to your mother's basement, troll - July 27, 2014
- San Francisco needs more buses, less cars - July 27, 2014
- Left out - July 27, 2014
- JbqSETCBdCoSL - July 27, 2014
- Where I was on the day President Kennedy was shot - July 27, 2014
- And joysticks for all - July 27, 2014
- Marcos' Judaism is relevant only when it comes to - July 27, 2014
- hqQqnukbsN - July 27, 2014
- mvajoCbAui - July 27, 2014