DUM DUM GIRLS
I Will Be
Dee Dee. Jules. Bambi. Frankie Rose. Their names would be perfect for the pole and dollar-bill dances, but the only stage these four L.A. ladies take on is one with a mic. Together they are The Dum Dum Girls and today these bad-ass babes put out their first full-length record, I Will Be. Primarily dirty garage-pop with a shot of girl-group charm, the Dum Dum's combination of sweet and ratty comes off with a second-wave feminist punch. Hot harmonies, lo-fi fuzz, sexy black outfits, and sassy melodies that stick like bubblegum.
I Will Be recieved a little love and audible inspiration from industry vet Richard Gottehrer, who co-wrote "My Boyfriend's Back" and produced albums by lovely legends Blondie and the Go-Go's back in the day. Dee Dee (a.k.a. Kristin Gundred) runs the girl gang of musicians and says she grew up listening to sick chart toppers like Mariah Carey until her pops introduced her to the good stuff, like Jefferson Airplane and Grace Slick-- thanks Dad! And props to her mom, whose baby face adorns the cover of the new album.
Taking hints from the grand ol' '60s, while spicing things up with some grungy shoe-gazing guitar, The Dum Dum Girls are a sexier version of The Vivian Girls and a perfect upper to any downer.
Most Commented On
- Thank you so much for - July 24, 2014
- NSA surveillance scandal goes full tilt clown - July 24, 2014
- 50 bucks says - July 24, 2014
- SFBG has always been a white newspaper. - July 24, 2014
- Homeless People Infesting the Main Library - July 24, 2014
- So what are "progressives" doing to fix public education? - July 24, 2014
- FBFoPYvvWKhBC - July 24, 2014
- aFygUdPcXhr - July 24, 2014
- More $ to Muni means more absenteeism. - July 24, 2014
- Um... Tenant's rights might - July 24, 2014