Live Shots: SF Bay Area Labor Heritage Rockin' Solidarity Chorus, City College, 5/27/2010
My auntie Yam is the ultimate SF activist, along with my mom, a.k.a. Snorkel Mom. The two of them are always out together, advocating for single-payer health care, participating in anti-war rallies, sharing new organic gardening techniques with each other, and attending all day lectures on Earth Day. I've learned so much from both of them, and I'm always awed by their commitment to change and their strong visions for a better world. So when auntie Yam invited me to go see her Labor Chorus perform at City College, I knew I was in for an uplifting and exciting show.
The SF Bay Area Labor Heritage Rockin' Solidarity Chorus is no ordinary chorus. Their songs are dynamic and at times even hilarious, crying our for peace and justice for every worker. Labor songs go back over a hundred years and are the perfect combination of melody and spunkiness to get union workers riled up and excited as they unite for their cause.
The performance at City College was no different. Some of my favorite sing-alongs were "Bring Back My Factory to Me," based of the traditional Scottish folk song "My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean" and an adapted version of Ted Warmbrand's "Who's the Criminal Here" that included lines about the Arizona police and questions like "And you, now, were you native born?" It's true that this chorus sings some classic, almost antiquey songs, and yet they are all so relevant and necessary to our world today.
Thank you auntie Yam and Snorkel Mom for teaching me how to be a strong and conscientious citizen!
And now, just as the performance ended last night, let's all join together and sing solidarity forever!
Most Commented On
- Butt ugly fool full of old - December 8, 2013
- Adding to my earlier post: I - December 8, 2013
- Suspending Judgement - December 8, 2013
- Also regarding The Hallowed, - December 8, 2013
- The devout worshipers of The - December 7, 2013
- Well said. I'm sure the - December 7, 2013
- "There will also be food, - December 7, 2013
- Ugh this sounds miserable. I - December 7, 2013
- Trolls such as yourself - December 7, 2013
- On the contrary, it is - December 7, 2013