Ah, yes -- the fleeting maybe yes/ maybe no of San Francisco summer has (possibly) arrived. And even if the weather doesn't quite cooperate, at least we all feel our spirits lift and our clothing constrict. Fortunately, there are many, many parties to rip it all off at! Not literally, but why not? Besides some of the parties listed in this week's Super Ego clubs column, here's a few more at which you can run wild and free and hot.
The topical and too-catchy indie electro group Men, which includes super-sexy JD Samson of Le Tigre fame, is taking over the SFMOMA this evening as part of the Thursday Now Playing series. ("Radical dance music" in a big museum? Me like.)
Cool queers and friends of all stripes will get into a screening of a new project by the Ridykeulous project at 7pm and then a live performance in the Haas Atrium by Men at 9pm.
Thu/16, 6pm-9:45pm, free with admission to museum. SFMOMA, 151 Third St., SF. www.sfmoma.org
The Bloc Party leader -- and out queer dream -- is bringing his solo show to Mezzanine in support of new album The Boxer, and it seems he's focussing on getting the crowd dancing. That's alright with me! Does It Offend You, Yeah?, who put on a great show a couple years ago at Slim's (even though everyone was at Coachella) open up with some baggy Madchester-referencing gonzo electro.
Sat/18, 9pm, $20. Mezzanine, 444 Jessie, SF. www.mezzaninesf.com
Toothy grin for this one. Honey Soundsystem's great weekly Honey Sundays party has been homeless since Paradise Lounge shut its doors. Until the Honey boys find a new space, they've been a-roving -- and it's a great indication of how open our scene is that they're arty-fab queer crowd is being welcomed by intelligent techno-head hosts. This week, Honey pairs with Bionic, the weekly Sunday at 222 Hyde that's seen its fair share of roving itself, to bring in Berlin 's DJ Kaos, whose been pumping out quality, eclectic techno and house releases since 1991, yeesh. I can't wait to see how this whole experiment coalesces.
Sun/19, 10pm, $5. 222 Hyde, SF. www.222hyde.com
Most Commented On
- This post - March 14, 2014
- The left is dominated by anger and hate - March 14, 2014
- That depends on what my job is. - March 14, 2014
- Some locations are better for the homeless than others - March 14, 2014
- What progressives are happy about here - March 14, 2014
- Being played like fiddles - March 14, 2014
- The influx of better off residents would increase the pressure - March 14, 2014
- I don't get it - March 14, 2014
- Still looks like a non issue to me - March 14, 2014
- Do you mean the 8Wash that you needed a billionaire on your side - March 14, 2014