It was Halloween on Plastic Beach on Saturday night at Oracle Arena, as Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett's high concept musical variety hour, Gorillaz, took to the stage in all of its virtual Demon Day glory.
Guest stars and collaborators were in abundance -- nearly 40 different musicians made appearances over the course of the evening, ranging from full horn and string sections to De La Soul's rambunctious lyricism and Bobby Womack's smooth soulfulness. Mick Jones and Paul Simonon stalked the stage as the genre-bending legacy of the Clash manifested beneath Hewlett's animated offspring, the musically-inclined primate half-cousins of Tank Girl.
The surreal brilliance of all of this was evident as Albarn, in un-dead makeup, asked - "Are we the last…living souls?" The band answered with a 20-plus song audio avalanche from the Gorillaz arsenal: "Stylo," "DARE," "White Flag," "19/2000," and a show-stopping rendition of "Dirty Harry."
Feel Good Inc.? Indeed.
Most Commented On
- "The Clean up the Plaza folks - March 16, 2014
- Absolute Garbage. But I - March 16, 2014
- It's so funny when - March 16, 2014
- Did you watch the video provided? - March 16, 2014
- Hi Greg - just to be clear, I - March 15, 2014
- And who will stop the cops - March 15, 2014
- In your opinion does Mr - March 15, 2014
- You guys are two peas in a pod - March 15, 2014
- Hey Shake, what do you think about homicide? - March 15, 2014
- Stopping people from running amok - March 15, 2014