Sam Love and I rented a camper van and decided it would be our home for the next three weeks, as we made our way loop-dee-loop around the south island of New Zealand. A few hours in, we realized that there aren't that many people in New Zealand (but tons of sheep!) and townships are quite spread out, resulting in very few radio stations.
This was a problem. We planned on driving, like hundreds of miles. But with no music? No way. No how! As we pulled into Queenstown, we had a mission. A thrift store needed to be found – CDs needed to be purchased. And there it was, the Salvation Army (or Sallie's as they like to call it there). They did have CDs … and guess what? They were ALL Willie Nelson. Every-single-one. So we got one titled “Willie Stripped” which includes a CD booklet with photos of Willie sitting naked in the bath. Bonus! So now, when I think of New Zealand, I think of Willie Nelson, Sam Love and me belting out “Bring Me Sunshine” as we chugged in our little van through the mind blowing landscape of the Fiordland National Park.
So seeing Willie last night, live at the Fillmore, was like a triple/quadruple bonus. This man is an icon, who stands for peace, love and tons of free flowing whiskey. And even though he is such an American symbol, Willie Nelson will forever remind me of that New Zealand roadtrip.
Most Commented On
- Nobody uses cliches more than progressives - March 15, 2014
- If you walk up to a cop and ask to be arrested then you will NOT - March 15, 2014
- I had no idea this Greg - March 15, 2014
- Aspen!!! - March 15, 2014
- All protesters get charged with resisting arrest - March 15, 2014
- If you are a success then you like cops because it is the cops - March 15, 2014
- Yeah, Greg is the perfect example of CCSF fodder. - March 15, 2014
- at least he has moved on from - March 15, 2014
- Who likes cops really? - March 15, 2014
- I hope for the best with CCSF - March 15, 2014