Worst American Idol ever

Yo Dawg -- more singing, less weeping please

Ok, American Idol. I sat through four hours this week. And yeah, Randy is Randy and Steven Tyler is a rock god and J-Lo is so pretty it makes my teeth hurt, but:

I miss Simon. Because everytime somebody really mangled a song, he'd remind them that "this is a singing contest."

That's right: This is a show about singing. But not this year. This year it's all Total Drama Island. The Pathos! The J-Lo weepfests! The tragedy, the crying, the terrible stories of people's lives and awful interactions between mean and unpleasant contestants who kick the weak ones out of their groups! Oh, the reality of it all!

An entire episode was devoted to watching anxiety-wracked contestants walk down a surreal flying-saucer-style walkway onto a stage where the judges would try to make them think they were going home, only to let slip at the last moment that they get to come back for another round. Or maybe not. Tears of joy. Thrown chairs. A woman trying to dry hump Ryan Seacrest. And it never ends.

Note to the producers: This is not Survivor: San Andreas Fault. We want to hear the contestants perform. We'll take the good and the bad, but please: No more of the ugly.

Comments

"Because everytime somebody really mangled a song, he'd remind them that "this is a singing contest."

Are you telling me you are unable to figure out that they know who can sing and who can't? Also, reminding a terrible singer that it's a singing contest does nothing. The singer won't improve if they are really that bad. It actually takes less time to just send them through the door and move on to the next potential singer. Are you unable to see that what Simon did was mostly for show? The judges all can tell a good singer, even if it's not said in front of a camera. The rude put downs from Simon rarely if ever helped anything. On occasion he was funny, but that was the only thing of value. Other than that, it's the same this year as last. The crying and all the emotions are the SAME as last year.

The producers want that emotion and drama to boost ratings and give some people something to vote for. Unfortunately, some people are tone deaf. Once hollywood weeks are over, it's voting time and makes no difference. Simon also wasn't even that honest all the time. When he didn't have an agenda, he was straight forward. But you don't have to mean to do that. When he had an agenda, or secretly had someone he wanted to win, Simon got sneaky and tried to turn America off to certain singers by playing games. He was fun sometimes, but I actually think the show is better off without him. Also the ratings are higher this year than last.

Posted by Guest on Feb. 26, 2011 @ 1:16 am

Posted by Guest on Feb. 26, 2011 @ 1:16 am

At least people going on the gong show knew it was a joke.

Posted by knuckles on Feb. 26, 2011 @ 2:21 am

Simon cowel knows nothing about music. The man has used televison shows his whole life to get hits because he knows how to take advantage of kids who will eat it up. Teletubbies , wwe , robson and jerome , mr blobby , pop idol ,xfactor , idol. He is good tv but if you want anyone to advice you on making it in the music buisness stay away from cowell! How many xfacrot and idol shows has there been from uk and usa and only a handfull ever made it. if you listen to him though everyone is sensational and the next big star! Untill he gets his number 1 single and then its on to next year.

Posted by Guest on Feb. 26, 2011 @ 2:37 am

Simon Cowell is an egotistical, overrated bore. AI is better off without him.

Posted by Guest on Feb. 26, 2011 @ 3:17 am

Simon Cowell was not good for american idol.

as a failed A/R man, he never signed anyone who made a name for themselves. he voted against Adam Lambert and Chris Daughtry in their auditions.

this seadons show is much stronger.

Steven Tyler is idols top dog and deservedly so. he listens, he really listens to them. he offers sound advice, is funny at times and extremely watchable.

Randy Jackson is the glue on the panel. its very apparent that he not simon , is the one orginal judge you dont want to lose.

Jennifer Lopez is charming and beautiful. i'd take her over Paula anyday

Posted by Evan on Feb. 26, 2011 @ 4:41 am

Simon Cowell was funny, but Steven Tyler is, too. So no loss entertainment-wise. Maybe we will miss Cowell at the point when we need a harsh but honest criticism, but we are not at this stage of the competition yet. I would be patient and see if any of the judges will fill that hole. But it seems you just want to rant. I don't think the amount of drama increased, but I agree with you when you say there should be less drama and more singing.
And I actually like Lopez more than the last women on AI, like Kara DioGuardi. I think it is a promising season with great talent.

Posted by Guest on Feb. 26, 2011 @ 4:44 am

I have to say, I think the talent selected this year is far and away better than the group we saw last year, and I think that is largely because of the judges. These people know music and can spot talent. They don't give insulting and conflicting direction that confuses the singers. And they don't blame their negative commentary on "song choice". They seem to genuinely care about the results. I think it's a much more effective mix and, to my surprise, I don't miss Simon at all. In fact, I can see where he was not good for the show - he was just performing to show what a bad guy he can be - I'm enjoying this year's AI much more than last year and I think we may actually get a star out of it this time - finally.

Posted by Guest HD on Feb. 26, 2011 @ 6:35 am

Hey Tim Redmond, you obviously do not or have never seen an aerosmith concert. The band and the man Steven Tyler is a genius. He comes from a formaly musically trained family and has been performing himself since 14. Why am I wasting my time with this email you are just a newspaper writer. I suggest you do a background check on Steven Tyler and see how well equipped he is to be a judge. By the way I have never heard Simon cowell perform a song or sing to 100"s of thousands of people,
Come on.......Really?

Posted by Guest cc on Feb. 26, 2011 @ 7:53 am

American Idol is having the best run to date, finally we have judges who offer sound advice, and actually know what they are talking about. Give props to Simon and Paula for bowing out, they were becoming tiresome.

Posted by Guest on Feb. 26, 2011 @ 12:23 pm

Is, as I said, a rock God. I have no problem with him being on the panel; I have no problem with the other judges. I just think there's way too much "Survivor-style" drama that has nothing to do with the point of the show. It's boring, it's stupid and it's turning AI into something it was never supposed to be. Get back to the music, folks.

Posted by Tim Redmond on Feb. 26, 2011 @ 1:43 pm

This season is great. The judges are genuine and give criticism that actually helps the contestant. Simon seriously was mean just to be mean. "I would have thrown my tv out the window" doesn't help the contestant improve at all.

Posted by Guest on Feb. 26, 2011 @ 6:33 pm

simon is plain mean. he would make more drama and sadness from the contestans than the new pannel does. at least the new pannel is nice and does'nt sceam at people to go away! screw simon, GO STEVEN TYLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by awsomedude on Feb. 27, 2011 @ 3:20 pm

Wow, looks like Tim made a lot of American Idol rejects mad here...

Posted by MishPen on Feb. 28, 2011 @ 11:26 am

Judges are all for the show... Not being honest at all.... This is its downfall and will end up the same fate of Canadian Idol...

Posted by Guest Kaydee Ree on Mar. 02, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

We are overly afraid to hear about our own flaws

I am giving the new season a chance, but the show started to go downhill when Paula left the show really, and the producers went from looking for great singers to find "artists" that fit into what mainstream America radio programming, which isn't that great, sound like. They got away from picking the Elliot Yamins and Melinda Doolittles.

Also a big part of American Idol's success was MORE than the singing ability of Kelly Clarkson, Tamyra Gray, Clay Aiken, Fantasia, Carrie Underwood, Chris Daughtry, etc.

It was also the chemistry of the judges. There was a rhythm to it that made it go. Randy offered constructive criticism, but wasn't necessarily mean, Paula gave encouragement and supportive, and Simon notice the elephant in the room and told you about the elephant in the room. That order was ritual.There currently is no flow. It's just a bunch of pandering comments.

Posted by Chris on Mar. 30, 2011 @ 10:44 pm