Got a late start and biked downtown in the Texas heat, straight to a loft party featuring Brasileira MC Zuzuka Poderosa. She was spitting out her Funk Carioca lyrics on top of beats being mastered by DJ Disco Tits while the small crowd danced up a storm.
After that it was time to jump into the fray of Austin's Sixth Street, chock full of St. Paddy's Day revelers. Tried to go to the NPR showcase but it had just finished, then tried to go see Big Freedia, the "Queen Diva" of Bounce. All we got was a taste from the fringes as the line wrapped around the venue. That's the thing about SxSW, there so many hassles and best laid plans usually go to waste, but there are always transcendental moments to make up for the frustration.
Ran into SF local Meklit Hadero as she and her band were trying to find the venue where they were showcasing that eve. Then it was on to the Paste party to see Boston's David Wax Museum at the Stage on 6th. Crossed paths with J Mascis on my way out.
Caught the tail end of Meklit's show at Marco Werman's "All Music is World Music" showcase. Then Abigail Washburn's stellar bluegrass set.
Rode clear across town in the hopes of catching Devotchka at Lustre Pearl, but the line for headliner Cold War Kids nixed that plan. Came back to the warehouse district for the Atlantic Records showcase planning to check out Lupe Fiasco but B.O.B was playing in his place. Decided to forgo Janelle Monae's show (she'd been subbed in for Cee-Lo) so I could get off my feet.
Check out the slideshow to see a glimpse of SFBG Contributing Photog Matt Reamer's adventures.
Most Commented On
- Money is the ultimate barbarian - March 9, 2014
- BURN VALENCIA - March 9, 2014
- They claimed to represent the 99% - March 9, 2014
- No matter who posts it, - March 9, 2014
- I agree that government is corrupt and a big part of the problem - March 9, 2014
- Marcos and his point. - March 9, 2014
- No one needs to try and make progressives look bad - March 9, 2014
- I don't think SFBG has ever claimed to represent the majority - March 9, 2014
- Yep, population is what counts if the question is about - March 9, 2014
- You should ask that question if the Bay Guardian - March 9, 2014