San Francisco lost true drag royalty today when Ms Vicki Marlane, "the Girl with the Liquid Spine" who performed with the weekend Hot Boxxx Girls revue at Aunt Charlie's Lounge, passed away at 7:04 a.m. at San Francisco General Hospital. No official cause of death was immediately available, but her co-entertainer Gina la Divina said she "had been down for a while," presumable meaning she had been ill. (This information was passed on to me this morning by Matt Slusarenko of Queerty.com, and he's just posted his tribute.) From circus sideshow act in the 50s to drag road warrior in the swinging 70s -- she lived a life, honey. That life was documented in a fantastic film released last year, "Forever's Gonna Start Tonight."
Besides enjoying her performances countless times, I had the pleasure of interviewing her for the Winter 2008 edition of our nightlife guide SCENE.
Vicki Marlane, seated third from left next to Gina La Divina. Photo by Matthew Reamer.
Most Commented On
- There are PLENTY of taxes on - March 15, 2014
- Yes, marcos is a white male tech worker who helped to gentrify - March 15, 2014
- Exactly - the burbs carry the freight of SF's inability to - March 15, 2014
- When progressives encounter reality and power then they - March 15, 2014
- How is the appreciation on 32 - March 15, 2014
- because it is at all - March 15, 2014
- She ran on the "progressive - March 15, 2014
- SFgate article today says lefty schemes again - March 15, 2014
- True, but if we have to have a new tax then let's make it a - March 15, 2014
- There should be a tax on people who think - March 15, 2014