San Francisco lost true drag royalty today when Ms Vicki Marlane, "the Girl with the Liquid Spine" who performed with the weekend Hot Boxxx Girls revue at Aunt Charlie's Lounge, passed away at 7:04 a.m. at San Francisco General Hospital. No official cause of death was immediately available, but her co-entertainer Gina la Divina said she "had been down for a while," presumable meaning she had been ill. (This information was passed on to me this morning by Matt Slusarenko of Queerty.com, and he's just posted his tribute.) From circus sideshow act in the 50s to drag road warrior in the swinging 70s -- she lived a life, honey. That life was documented in a fantastic film released last year, "Forever's Gonna Start Tonight."
Besides enjoying her performances countless times, I had the pleasure of interviewing her for the Winter 2008 edition of our nightlife guide SCENE.
Vicki Marlane, seated third from left next to Gina La Divina. Photo by Matthew Reamer.
Most Commented On
- Greg, most of your ideas are tired old rehashes too. - April 17, 2014
- Dismissing all growth as a "bubble" is something the left loves - April 17, 2014
- In the same spirit - April 17, 2014
- Vacancy control will never happen because it is a State-wide - April 17, 2014
- No, Greg, if an Ellised building subsequently condo converts - April 17, 2014
- Nobody in Sacramento will listen to Campos - April 17, 2014
- The more we throw money at the homeless, - April 17, 2014
- this is the spell caster that save my home - April 17, 2014
- in-case you are in need of help you can contact him - April 17, 2014
- That man is great, you can contact him via email obasispelltempl - April 17, 2014