San Francisco lost true drag royalty today when Ms Vicki Marlane, "the Girl with the Liquid Spine" who performed with the weekend Hot Boxxx Girls revue at Aunt Charlie's Lounge, passed away at 7:04 a.m. at San Francisco General Hospital. No official cause of death was immediately available, but her co-entertainer Gina la Divina said she "had been down for a while," presumable meaning she had been ill. (This information was passed on to me this morning by Matt Slusarenko of Queerty.com, and he's just posted his tribute.) From circus sideshow act in the 50s to drag road warrior in the swinging 70s -- she lived a life, honey. That life was documented in a fantastic film released last year, "Forever's Gonna Start Tonight."
Besides enjoying her performances countless times, I had the pleasure of interviewing her for the Winter 2008 edition of our nightlife guide SCENE.
Vicki Marlane, seated third from left next to Gina La Divina. Photo by Matthew Reamer.
Most Commented On
- Emma Silvers' Concert Demography - July 23, 2014
- Then I think that "traditional" or "conventional" would have - July 23, 2014
- Mike Love is well known for - July 23, 2014
- The writer clearly does not - July 23, 2014
- If the initiative has broad support, then money won't matter - July 23, 2014
- Yes, similar comments were made about Emma's piece on - July 23, 2014
- you point out. - July 23, 2014
- The racial stereotype looks like it was an after-thought. - July 23, 2014
- State and municiap pension funds are run by Calpers and their - July 23, 2014
- Government by who shouts loudest - July 23, 2014