Localized Appreesh is our weekly thank-you column to the musicians that make the Bay. Each week a band/music-maker with a show, album release, or general good news is highlighted and spotlit. To be considered, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Sandwitches are all about high highs and low lows. The vocals of Heidi Alexander and Grace Cooper (both former back-up singers for Fresh & Onlys) defy the bounds of San Francisco garage, piping up from low and fuzzed out to high-pitched and near theatrical. The music strays similiarly from convention, with an underlying garage-pop root that sometimes hits close to country-folk, other times lends itself more toward dewy trophy love song/doo-wap. It's a sound that takes a minute to digest – and that's a good thing.
You can check it out for yourself. The trio's upcoming seven-inch single The Pearl is streaming now, here. And then you can go see it live. The Sandwitches will fill the opening slot of a pretty righteous show this week at the Fillmore, with headliners/Australian indie poppers Architecture in Helsinki and lo-fi American rockers DOM.
You may protest, “but that's not how you spell sandwiches!” Yes, spelling wizards, it's a play on words. Sand-witches. Witches of bread. Meaning sourdough with warts, or something less gross. Spooky PB&J? Bubbling cauldrons of BLT? Or as you'll see below, the name simply came from “a process of elimination.” It's also way easier to Google.
Year and location of origin: 2009, Frisco, baby.
Band name origin: A process of elimination
Band motto: "More feeling"
Description of sound in 10 words or less: dingy, pingy, bumpy, pumpy, lumpy, brash, sophisticated, and smooth.
Instrumentation: Mexican telecaster, Mexican stratocaster, drum set
Most recent release: The Pearl/Benny's Memory Palace 7", Hardly Art
Best part about life as a Bay Area band: The buds [ed note -- double entendre?]
Worst part about life as a Bay Area band: The fog?
First record/cassette tape/or CD ever purchased: Queen Greatest Hits I & II, Blue Beatles hits collection on tape.
Most recent record/cassette tape/CD/or Mp3 purchased/borrowed from the Web: Jackie Gleason, Music for Lover's Only.
Favorite local eatery and dish: Chevys and fried chicken.
With Architecture in Helsinki and DOM
Thurs/3, 8 p.m., $20-$29
1805 Geary, SF
Most Commented On
- Emma buys the "you can't be racist about whites" line - July 23, 2014
- Again as a journalist when you make a claim you must - July 23, 2014
- He's right though. When you have a mix of commercial and - July 23, 2014
- There are a whole gaggle of people like that only in SF, who - July 23, 2014
- So you don't care about the neighbors who now have - July 23, 2014
- The water would not be lost. It would simply be allowed to flow - July 23, 2014
- All national parks are very expensive if terms of the - July 23, 2014
- It has ruined a valley as beautiful as Yosemite and continues to - July 23, 2014
- So we should support Arab terrorists instead? - July 23, 2014
- Like any investment strategy, such an approach may work - July 23, 2014