Nite Trax: Nebakaneza's top 10 dubstep tracks of 2011

Nebakaneza knows

DJ Nebakaneza of the always raging Ritual Dubstep weekly (every Thursday, 9pm-3am at Temple) has one of the finest ears on the dubstep scene and a generous taste when it comes to the often narrowly defined genre. The Anonymous-like masked mixer has definitely turned us on to some great tunes this year. Here's his tops in the wobble department for 2011:

10. Natty Freq, "Luna Obscura," Wizard Piss EP

Natty Freq - Luna Oscura (SB004 Clip) by Natural Frequency

9. Gomes, "Lower State," Lower State EP

GOMES LOWER STATE EP MINI MIX by Gomes aka G-Man

8. Bratkilla, "Underworld," Deathstep

7. TKR, "Cluster Bomb," Divergent Paths Vol. 2

[PL017] _ TKR - Cluster Bomb - Out now on Divergent Paths Vol2! by ParadiseLostRecordings

6. Silkie featuring Truth, "Feel," City Limits Vol. 2

5. Genetix, "Stealth," Beast Mode EP

Genetix - Stealth by Genetix Dubstep

4. Vinja, "Bombassador," Bombassador/Flute Loop EP

Vinja - Bombassador by Vinja

3. Disonata, "Evoke," Form Your Path/Evoke EP

Evoke / Form Your Path OUT NOW on DiaMind Records on 12" and WEB by Disonata

2. 501, "White Lies," Dubstep Dubplates Volume 1

1. Aya, "In Too Deep," Not Here To Mingle EP

BONUS! Check out Nebakaneza mixing blindfolded:

Comments

What exactly is so challenging about mixing blindfolded? Mixing was done with your ears and hands back in my day. Only since the advent of talentless Traktor/FinalScratch/Ableton pseudodj'ing could this be considered even modestly challenging. If somehow being blindfolded made you realize how shitty your brostep tracks are that would actually be a feat.
Cheers.

Posted by oldasthehills on Dec. 20, 2011 @ 2:08 pm

http://www.snorecures.net -
Excellent weblog right here! Additionally your
website lots up fast! What web host are you the use of?
Can I get your affiliate link in your host?

I want my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

Posted by Lona on Aug. 13, 2012 @ 9:33 pm

Eat a dick you old fuck. There are only 2 brostep tunes in my top 10 and at least I'm being creative with my sets instead of just standing there.

Posted by Nebakaneza on Dec. 21, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

I'm sure that anyone who puts put a top-10 2011 dubstep list will get criticised by the masses and you will certainly let someone down, but I would like to recommend that you check out Butch Clancy, for remixes. his bass drops are some of the best right now. A lot of your selections were tepid.

On the Deathstep side, Mantis Dubstep is putting out some of the hardest deathstep, I have to say that Bratkilla stuff sounds like some Front 242 warmed over.

Your top 10 list got a "3" from me. At least you didn't put Bassnectar in there.

You were pretty ok with this list, but also manged to suck because it wasn't good.
Happy 2012!!

- ZINC Th'Mutthafuggin' Beatminder

Posted by Guest on Dec. 28, 2011 @ 9:36 am

Disonata, "Evoke," was good. The rest of your selections were just ...OK.

Even on Souncloud alone, there are waaaay better examples of the genre. There is till time for you to improve your taste selecta, that's a DJ's first job inn'it mate???.

Peace,

- Zinc

Posted by Guest on Dec. 28, 2011 @ 10:00 am

Nice Filth of July Shirt ;)

Posted by GuestStony on Dec. 21, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

The challenge is in the fact he is selecting cds, putting them in and using his hands to mix blindfolded retard, hes not using ableton or traktor

Posted by Guest on Dec. 21, 2011 @ 4:01 pm

lol at the mixing with cdjs blindfolded thats like saying you know how to breath blindfolded...

Posted by LOLLS on Dec. 21, 2011 @ 4:15 pm

he is really full of himself :/

Posted by Guest on Dec. 21, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

didnt think mixing shit was that hard... why so many people crying? The blidnfolded thing is a good performance, I dont think this guy goes out of his way to make others feel inferior....

Posted by Guest on Dec. 21, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

Funny how confidence and showmanship is interpreted as arrogance. I was making a point that spinning is not so tough once you know what you are doing, yet I see people train wrecking constantly even with their vision. I also disagree that it is as easy as some are making it out to be. Sure if all your tunes are the same bpm, you leave the EQ's at zero, you quick-mix, practice a few times, and you pre-select your songs, it would be quite a bit easier, but this was 100% freestyled with BPM changes and quick scanning of tracks in my headphones to find tracks I though would work. If you wanna be so vocal about how CDJs blindfolded is easy as pie, I challenge you to prove it by doing a blindfolded vinyl set freestyled with at least minute long mixes like I did. This was also my way of trying to get people to put away the laptops by showing the simplicity of mixing without being blinded by a computer. Interpret it however you want, it was a cool challenge that I wanted to try, and was mad fun. But fuck all this talk about me mixing, this article is about 10 songs I think you should check out.

Posted by Nebakaneza on Dec. 21, 2011 @ 7:15 pm

what's funnier is the fact that you care so fucking much about what anonymous trolls like me think of your mixing. you are as arrogant as they come, as evidenced by your reasoning behind the mask... as if anybody even cares except your 30-something groupie posse...

Posted by Guest on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 11:41 pm

I'm surprised this link wasn't posted before, but this seems like a good spot it.

It's a new website for active interent posters. It looks to be a very happening site for those posters who like raucous, raunchy and lively chatboards. A few avid Guardian posters should thoroughly enjoy it.

"In addition, sources confirmed that each day Outkube's software produces dozens of new pop-culture rankings, such as "The 10 Most Underrated Bands" or "The 15 Best Sci-Fi Movies Of All Time," which have been shown to occupy some of the Internet's most obnoxious commenters indefinitely, freeing the remainder of the web for actual rational discourse.

"This is a godsend," said Kenneth Estenson of CNN, which owns a major stake in Outkube. "We've seen a huge drop in the number of CNN.com commenters accusing one another of being fucking retard dipshits, and the once common practice among users of equating any viewpoint they do not personally share to the philosophy of the Taliban has almost entirely disappeared."

"Internet commenters are so inherently dim that, by simply responding to their ridiculous rants with an equally inflammatory statement—for example, by accusing them of engaging in homosexual acts or belittling their favored sports star or political candidate—these imbeciles can't help but react with outrage and continue to engage with our site," Outkube webmaster Sean Hawk said. "They take the bait every time." (Eric, Pat, Michael W., anonymous and numerous Guests may want to read that last sentence a few times more so it will perhaps sink in.)

"Christ, they're stupid," he added.

And any year-end list should have a link to this article to help readers guage the typical commenter responses. Don't miss the 300 comments to the article, bound to put a smile on even the most obsessive, miserable, and lonely Guardian grinch.

The 20 Unhappiest People You Meet In The Comments Sections Of Year-End Lists

1. The Poisoned. "The fact that you included Adele on this list of 100 things you like makes it a total joke."

2. The Really Pretty Sure Person, Who Is Really Pretty Sure. "I've never seen Game Of Thrones, but I'm really pretty sure it's not as good as Boardwalk Empire."

3. The Person Who Is Exactly Right. "It really seems like this list of things you thought were good is just your opinion."

4. The Surprisingly Lucid Narcoleptic. "ZZZZZZZZZ" is the classic. "SNORE" and "YAWN" are acceptable variants.

5. The Mother Of Tim "Freckles" Matterley. "There is a musician in Ann Arbor named Tim Matterley who is better than all these songs! You would like his music. He has a web site at FrecklesMatterley.com, and you can get his songs free on your computer! Please check out Tim Matterley, who does not have a big record contract YET but is very very good!!!!" Two comments later, she will often come back. "Also, Tim Matterley is in this YouTube video where he plays 'Imagine' at a children hospital. I am just one fan but I think he is great and he will go far!!!"

6. The Read A Book Guy. "Not one of these movies is as good as reading a book." On a list of books, by the way, he will say none of the books is as good as books used to be. He also hates Kindles, which he may or may not mention.

7. The Self-Punisher. "I always hate your tastes, so I knew this would be a miserable and useless list before I decided to click on it and read the whole thing, and now I know I was right."

8. The Unwitting Outlier. "Has anyone really cared about George Clooney since ER?"

9. The Person With The Imperfect Grasp Of Obscurity. "These are all completely obscure picks nobody has ever heard of. The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo sounds like a Dr. Seuss book."

10. Harry The Hipster-Hater, Who Really, Really Hates Hipsters. "This is all hipster music. I guess it's okay for hipsters, but I'm not enough of a hipster to like hipster picks like this. Too bad I'm not hipster enough. Maybe I'd like it better if I were more of a hipster." [His username: "notahipstersorry."]

11. The Person Who Thinks You Were So Close. "I like all these picks, but you ranked The Descendants as your #4 and Martha Marcy May Marlene as your #5, and they should be the other way around. FAIL."

12. The Person Who Never Says Die. "Why isn't Arrested Development on this list?"

13. The Subject-Changer. "If we're talking about great comedy performances, I don't know how you can leave out [Barack Obama/the Republican debates/Occupy Wall Street/the Tea Party]. That was the funniest thing I saw all year."

14. The Minimalist. "These blow."

15. The Person Who Is Probably Too Hardcore For You. "The best film of the year was shot in Tokyo and the title translates to I [Bleep]ed Your Grandmother With A [Blank] And [Bleep] You Too. I guess that's probably a little too hardcore for you. You should get outside the multiplex once in a while."

16. The Person Who Is Laughing But Is Actually Not At All Amused. "You put Community on your list instead of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia? Ha ha ha yeah right."

17. The Concerned. "What's wrong with you? No, seriously, what's wrong with you?"

18. The Person Who Wanted To Be Surprised. "Uh, way to go out on a limb. These are the same things you've been talking about all year and saying were the best things when they came out in the first place."

19. The Disbelieving. "Really? Are you serious? Did you mean to leave off my favorite thing? Or did something happen? Did you forget it? Did you think it didn't come out this year? Did you write it down and then accidentally delete it in a technology mishap? Do you not know how to spell it? Really? Are you kidding?"

20. The Humble Alternative. "If you really want to know what the best choices of the year were, I put my list up at my site, KnittingWithDagmarAndLaura.com — it's not just about knitting!"

Posted by Guest on Dec. 23, 2011 @ 9:25 am

I'm sure that anyone who puts put a top-10 2011 dubstep list will get criticised by the masses, but I would like to recommend that you check out Butch Clancy, for remixes. his bass drops are some of the best right now. A lot of your selections were tepid.

Happy 2012!!