Localized Appreesh is our weekly thank-you column to the musicians that make the Bay. Each week a band/music-maker with a show, album release, or general good news is highlighted and spotlit. To be considered, contact email@example.com. This installment is guest written by Frances Capell.
If you pick up a copy of Swiftumz’s (a.k.a. Chris McVicker’s) LP, Don’t Trip (Holy Mountain), you’ll notice a purple sticker that says “CALL ME,” and lists his phone number. Weird, yes, but it’s the same endearing candor that lights up McVicker’s darling lo-fi pop tunes. His retro guitar hooks and fragile, imperfect voice remind me of Girls’ Chris Owens, but McVicker is one of a kind. Check out the album, give him a call, or go see him at the Hemlock Tavern this Saturday.
Year and location of origin: We’ve all been playing music together for years, this incarnation is new and based around my solo project.
Band name origin: A nickname some people call me.
Band motto: "Short sets!"? Do bands have motto’s? I think we are all into having fun playing music together, being productive at practice so we can be good live.
Description of sound in 10 words or less: Short, heartfelt, pretty pop songs with good instrumental arrangements.
Instrumentation: Two guitars/drums/bass and whatever else is called for.
Most recent release: Don't Trip LP (Holy Mountain Records). Released October 2011.
Best part about life as a Bay Area band: Feel like this is the best place to live, and that translates to most aspects of life and art.
Worst part about life as a Bay Area band: I don't know, I think we all really like it here.
First record/cassette tape/or CD ever purchased: Prince 1999.
Most recent record/cassette tape/CD/or Mp3 purchased/borrowed from the Web: Bought last week at Aquarius: Fac.Dance Compilation, Scare Dem Crew The Album, Dictators Manifest Destiny.
Favorite local eatery and dish: Fresh Dungeness crabs! [ed note: but from where, Swiftumz?]
With Wet Illustrated and Meercaz
Sat/7, 9:30 p.m., $6
1131 Polk, SF
Warming up with the picturesque video for "Day We Met:"
Most Commented On
- Look at it this way, Snoozers - March 9, 2014
- The issue isn't whether poetry is worthwhile but rather why - March 9, 2014
- So you're saying marcos is just like a driver? - March 9, 2014
- Class based envy politics doesn't sit well with most voters - March 9, 2014
- When you cannot defeat an opponent then - March 9, 2014
- oBaVKmYrxmf - March 9, 2014
- Another new to town progressive. - March 9, 2014
- No, government surveillance wrong, period. - March 9, 2014
- Government surveillance is bad - March 8, 2014
- San Francisco Needs Speed Cameras - March 8, 2014