Localized Appreesh is our weekly thank-you column to the musicians that make the Bay. To be considered, contact email@example.com.
Magic Touch just sounds naughty, doesn't it? It's actually the danceable solo project of lauded local drummer Damon Palermo, also of Mi Ami and Jonas Reinhardt. As Magic Touch, Palermo further explores his love of beats, using a variety of drums machines and synths – for the full list of these toys, see his answers below.
This week Magic Touch will perform a live set at the free new Lower Haight party, Push the Feeling. There he'll likely be treating the crowd to bouncy tracks off last year's I Can Feel the Heat 12-inch (100% Silk) which blends clubby 1990s house and grooving disco beats – download “Clubhouse” for your own taste of his silky Touch. But first, he checked in with Localized Appreesh.
Year and location of origin: Band -- April 11 2011, San Francisco, Calif.; Myself -- Dec. 19, 1980 Pontiac, Michigan.
Band name origin: From a synthetic drawstring ponytail.
Band motto: Sweet.
Description of sound in 10 words or less: House, disco, samples, no samples, vocals, no vocals, solos, solos, solos, solos!
Instrumentation: YamahaSU700, Roland TR 707, Alesis HR16, Alpha Juno1, Siel DK70, Sequential Circuits Six Trak
Most recent release: Magic Touch - I Can Feel the Heat 12" (100% Silk 009)
Best part about life as a Bay Area band: Chillin.'
Worst part about life as a Bay Area band: Too much chillin.'
First record/cassette tape/or CD ever purchased: Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch - Music for the People.
Most recent record/cassette tape/CD/or Mp3 purchased/borrowed from the Web: DJ Harvey - Garage Groove 1989 mix.
Favorite local eatery and dish: Ken Ken Ramen - Japanese ramen + veggie up.
Most Commented On
- Do you talk to people in pubic like that? - May 23, 2013
- Steven, pressure can only be put on AirBnB because they - May 23, 2013
- I'm over forty - May 23, 2013
- Yep, exactly, all AirBnB has to do is move to Brisbane. - May 23, 2013
- Just because AirBnB has the info on income that SF - May 23, 2013
- Yep, there has been huge rent inflation in Hayes Valley as it - May 23, 2013
- That conspiracy is just plain stupid, sorry. - May 23, 2013
- You don't want to help blacks deal with violence - May 23, 2013
- So you agree that violence is a race issue? - May 23, 2013
- Yes, and in fact isn't Steven Jones a tenant? - May 23, 2013