Localized Appreesh is our weekly thank-you column to the musicians that make the Bay. To be considered, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Magic Touch just sounds naughty, doesn't it? It's actually the danceable solo project of lauded local drummer Damon Palermo, also of Mi Ami and Jonas Reinhardt. As Magic Touch, Palermo further explores his love of beats, using a variety of drums machines and synths – for the full list of these toys, see his answers below.
This week Magic Touch will perform a live set at the free new Lower Haight party, Push the Feeling. There he'll likely be treating the crowd to bouncy tracks off last year's I Can Feel the Heat 12-inch (100% Silk) which blends clubby 1990s house and grooving disco beats – download “Clubhouse” for your own taste of his silky Touch. But first, he checked in with Localized Appreesh.
Year and location of origin: Band -- April 11 2011, San Francisco, Calif.; Myself -- Dec. 19, 1980 Pontiac, Michigan.
Band name origin: From a synthetic drawstring ponytail.
Band motto: Sweet.
Description of sound in 10 words or less: House, disco, samples, no samples, vocals, no vocals, solos, solos, solos, solos!
Instrumentation: YamahaSU700, Roland TR 707, Alesis HR16, Alpha Juno1, Siel DK70, Sequential Circuits Six Trak
Most recent release: Magic Touch - I Can Feel the Heat 12" (100% Silk 009)
Best part about life as a Bay Area band: Chillin.'
Worst part about life as a Bay Area band: Too much chillin.'
First record/cassette tape/or CD ever purchased: Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch - Music for the People.
Most recent record/cassette tape/CD/or Mp3 purchased/borrowed from the Web: DJ Harvey - Garage Groove 1989 mix.
Favorite local eatery and dish: Ken Ken Ramen - Japanese ramen + veggie up.
Most Commented On
- Observations on the term "pigs" - March 16, 2014
- True but he makes it too easy for it to really be - March 16, 2014
- Do you hate gays as much as you hate Asians? - March 16, 2014
- It would be more clear - March 16, 2014
- Referring to the police as "pigs" instantly devalues your - March 16, 2014
- No, Greg, it was a fair question - March 16, 2014
- It's a dilemma for Greg because he hates Asians and loves losers - March 16, 2014
- LOL, Greg trying to defend Asians and chinamen when we all know - March 16, 2014
- NAaXjHtwzrpfIngIoD - March 16, 2014
- Amazon increases Prime’s cost as it turns focus to profit - March 16, 2014