If you're planning to hit the Fillmore tonight, I can only guess tickets were carefully debated then purchased mainly in order to see fantastical live sets by the magic indie sprites of Deerhoof and/or headliners of Montreal. But might I suggest getting there early for opener Kishi Bashi?
I caught his act last night at Slim's (it was the same lineup as tonight -- the three acts are on tour together) and was glad I did. Others in the crowd were pleased as well, yelling "I love you!" during the few quiet moments in between full blown song attacks.
If you're not already turned on to his charms, the solo multi-instrumentalist and of Montreal touring member is basically (and I mean basically, as in reality there's always more to the story) a male tUnE-yArDs looping violin instead of drums. He's got the same frenzied charm, the same echoing tribal holler, and the same endless loops climaxing in a dizzying fashion. Unrelated but equally notable, he had snazzy bow-tie on last night, and told the crowd he'd just learned to tie it that night, though that was likely a fib as I see he's wearing it on tour. No matter, more girly sighs and hoots.
Here's Kishi Bashi recorded:
And here he is live, performing "Manchester":
And here he is just one week ago in Texas:
Most Commented On
- You always make that remark when you have no response. - July 24, 2014
- No, Yo, there is no significant difference between the two - July 24, 2014
- Not overfunded - July 24, 2014
- lol - July 24, 2014
- Guest, I see where you are heading, and... - July 24, 2014
- Of course he does - July 24, 2014
- Same with the SF Green Party - ovewhelmingly white - July 24, 2014
- Yeah, but if you have really good tech skills why would you ever - July 24, 2014
- Why didn't the author give a breakdown by eye color or - July 24, 2014
- HINT: SFUSD should have done - July 24, 2014