If you're planning to hit the Fillmore tonight, I can only guess tickets were carefully debated then purchased mainly in order to see fantastical live sets by the magic indie sprites of Deerhoof and/or headliners of Montreal. But might I suggest getting there early for opener Kishi Bashi?
I caught his act last night at Slim's (it was the same lineup as tonight -- the three acts are on tour together) and was glad I did. Others in the crowd were pleased as well, yelling "I love you!" during the few quiet moments in between full blown song attacks.
If you're not already turned on to his charms, the solo multi-instrumentalist and of Montreal touring member is basically (and I mean basically, as in reality there's always more to the story) a male tUnE-yArDs looping violin instead of drums. He's got the same frenzied charm, the same echoing tribal holler, and the same endless loops climaxing in a dizzying fashion. Unrelated but equally notable, he had snazzy bow-tie on last night, and told the crowd he'd just learned to tie it that night, though that was likely a fib as I see he's wearing it on tour. No matter, more girly sighs and hoots.
Here's Kishi Bashi recorded:
And here he is live, performing "Manchester":
And here he is just one week ago in Texas:
Most Commented On
- The writing is on the wall (on the waterfront, that is) - May 24, 2013
- Street music - May 23, 2013
- Okay. In case you hadn't - May 23, 2013
- So that would make Asians - May 23, 2013
- Kind of funny...... - May 23, 2013
- And anyway, you missed my - May 23, 2013
- SF schools not geared for trades - May 23, 2013
- I do live in a place I can - May 23, 2013
- If your out of town workers - May 23, 2013
- I was there last night... - May 23, 2013