Localized Appreesh is our weekly thank-you column to the musicians that make the Bay. To be considered, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
You already know A B & the Sea, right? The creamy surf pop act last year released the perfect summer pop song and matching video – “In the Sunshine” – all hand-holding, first kisses, and beach frolicking. And earlier that year, the band played Noise Pop again, amid a sea of punks before Ted Leo.
Well now, it's basically summer 2012 (we have to make up seasons 'round these parts) and the band has just released its newest contribution to our cultural zeitgeist, the full-length Constant Vacation. Produced by Wallpaper and Jim Fairchild, and full of bouncy, beachy harmonies, it's got that infectious aforementioned “Sunshine” single plus more contenders for song of the summer (“California Feeling”). There's got to be a frozen cherry Popsicle we can split around here somewhere.
And you know what happens next right? The requisite, much ballyhooed album release party. Check 'em out in post-release bliss headlining the Great American Music Hall this week. You know you want to.
Year and location of origin: 2008 Oshkosh, WI.
Band name origin: the cleverly brothers.
Band motto: constant vacation
Description of sound in 10 words or less: cruisin' the pacific banger highway; no rearview, no destination.
Instrumentation: vocal harmonies and sunshine.
Most recent release: new record Constant Vacation record release show May 3rd at Great American Music Hall. No...not Six Flags Great America...maybe next time.
Best part about life as a Bay Area band: the babes.
Worst part about life as a Bay Area band: nonsense.
First album purchased: Coolio, Gangstas Paradise cassette.
Most recent album purchased/downloaded: Miniature Tigers, Mia Pharaoh.
Favorite local eatery and dish: Mission Cheese ched or die sammy. So scrummy...
Most Commented On
- Wiener is the smartest of the supervisors and so I'd expect him - July 30, 2014
- This is the flip side of the - July 30, 2014
- I'd argue for an encampment in West Oakland - July 30, 2014
- You appear to see the flaw in your own idea. - July 30, 2014
- The Board does not replace - July 30, 2014
- It's BART's job to provide - July 30, 2014
- One might also consider Abel Gance's "J'Accuse " - July 30, 2014
- I know, and there are many other Bay Area towns that are as - July 30, 2014
- And that board represents the owners. - July 30, 2014
- If barriers are put between - July 30, 2014