Localized Appreesh is our weekly thank-you column to the musicians that make the Bay. To be considered, contact email@example.com.
Tireless indie pop supergroup Still Flyin' is back, with a follow-up to 2009's superfun Never Gonna Touch the Ground.
The expansive SF band's sophomore album – On A Bedroom Wall – is varied, it's a grand mishmosh of styles, influences, and instruments (like any good party record). It has a synthy '80s shoulder-shaking influence throughout, peppered with funk and reggae rhythms, cut through with earnest pop melodies; picture a funkier, modern Adam and the Ants, and maybe throw 'em in an underground, all-night dance club in a beachy locale. And hand over that fruity cocktail while you're at it.
On the release of said second record, the spirited act hits Rickshaw Stop this Friday – and really, Still Flyin' is known first and foremost as a great live band. Leading up to the big show, bandleader/pied piper Sean Rawls reflects on first records, favorites dishes, and the worst part of San Francisco's seamless seasons.
Year and location of origin: 2004, San Francisco.
Band name origin: I wrote a joke reggae song for a band with my buds from college called Je Suis France. When I moved to San Francisco from Athens, GA I was so obsessed with my reggae song that I decided to make a band based on it. The band name is from the chorus of that song.
Band motto: They gave us a chance and now we are going to take it from them.
Description of sound in 10 words or less: Smooth wild unhinged mechanical soft bombastic happy melancholy popular unpopular.
Instrumentation: 1. Guitar/synth/vocals; 2. Synth/vocals; 3. Vibraphone/guitar/synth/sax/vocals; 4. Percussion/guitar/vocals; 5. Bass; 6. Drums
Most recent release: On A Bedroom Wall (May 22 via Ernest Jenning)
Best part about life as a Bay Area band: No problem getting rained on for half the year.
Worst part about life as a Bay Area band: Jacket in July.
First album ever purchased: Back to the Future soundtrack.
Most recent album purchased/downloaded: Cleaners From Venus box set
Favorite Bay Area eatery and dish: Pretty much any torta at La Torta Gorda.
With Tambo Rays, Trails and Ways
Sun/10, 7pm, $10
155 Fell, SF
Most Commented On
- I went to college with some of them in the 80's - July 31, 2014
- We need to take action on - July 31, 2014
- Lilli, have you ever played any sports? - July 31, 2014
- Are you saying that we should expand our transit system? - July 31, 2014
- The city just needs to pick the money tree out back again. - July 31, 2014
- It isn't supposed to be an accurate - Joe Fitzgerald wrote it. - July 31, 2014
- Of course, while sending this - July 31, 2014
- I've come to think the ones who want to build in the park are - July 31, 2014
- Looks like a pretty responsible memo to me. - July 31, 2014
- You are totally miscategorizing the memo - July 31, 2014