Localized Appreesh is our weekly thank-you column to the musicians that make the Bay. To be considered, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Drop Lemmy Kilmister in a whirling vat of hallucinogenic acid, and you may start to hear San Francisco's Pins of Light emerge. The Alternative Tentacles band is made up of hard rocking, black metal-dipped cogs: scratchy-throated singer-bassist Shane Baker, brutal guitarists Jake Palladino and Ravi Durbeej, and pummeling drummer Phil Becker, who are also current and former members of Dead and Gone, Hightower, and Triclops.
The band's hellfire debut album II – recorded at Lucky Cay Recordings in Potrero Hill – draws from elements of metal, punk, and '70s rock'n'roll. Songs like album opener “4112” and punkish “No Way Home” lend easily to the brutal mosh, or at least some furious headbanging. The record came out earlier this year – pick it up now – and the band headlines Hemlock Tavern this week:
Year and location of origin: Fall 2008
Band name origin: Yvan Kawecki [Ed. note: Fleshies guitarist]
Band motto: I love you.
Description of sound in 10 words or less: Vibrations that travel through the air that can be heard.
Instrumentation: 2 gits, bass, vox, drums!
Most recent release: Debut LP on Alternative Tentacles, II.
Best part about life as a Bay Area band: The view.
Worst part about life as a Bay Area band: The other side of the world is so far away.
First album ever purchased: 45 of In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins.
Most recent album purchased/downloaded: new Toys that Kill, Fambly – ripping!!!
Favorite Bay Area eatery and dish: Cathead's BBQ. Cornmeal Crusted Tofu. And I'm not even a vegetarian!
Most Commented On
- Well....in 1849 there were - December 7, 2013
- Real Homes for Real People - December 7, 2013
- Why should a marginal enterprise of very limited appeal - December 7, 2013
- I Don't Think Anybody Said It Was - December 7, 2013
- My 92 year old mom has a - December 7, 2013
- Wrong, Jeff, anyone can post as anyone here, and use a fake - December 7, 2013
- HOW I GOT MY EX BACK - December 7, 2013
- Its not a reasonable - December 7, 2013
- These days it's not a - December 7, 2013
- Harvey Milk's dog pooper scooper law - December 7, 2013