Localized Appreesh is our weekly thank-you column to the musicians that make the Bay. To be considered, contact email@example.com.
Drop Lemmy Kilmister in a whirling vat of hallucinogenic acid, and you may start to hear San Francisco's Pins of Light emerge. The Alternative Tentacles band is made up of hard rocking, black metal-dipped cogs: scratchy-throated singer-bassist Shane Baker, brutal guitarists Jake Palladino and Ravi Durbeej, and pummeling drummer Phil Becker, who are also current and former members of Dead and Gone, Hightower, and Triclops.
The band's hellfire debut album II – recorded at Lucky Cay Recordings in Potrero Hill – draws from elements of metal, punk, and '70s rock'n'roll. Songs like album opener “4112” and punkish “No Way Home” lend easily to the brutal mosh, or at least some furious headbanging. The record came out earlier this year – pick it up now – and the band headlines Hemlock Tavern this week:
Year and location of origin: Fall 2008
Band name origin: Yvan Kawecki [Ed. note: Fleshies guitarist]
Band motto: I love you.
Description of sound in 10 words or less: Vibrations that travel through the air that can be heard.
Instrumentation: 2 gits, bass, vox, drums!
Most recent release: Debut LP on Alternative Tentacles, II.
Best part about life as a Bay Area band: The view.
Worst part about life as a Bay Area band: The other side of the world is so far away.
First album ever purchased: 45 of In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins.
Most recent album purchased/downloaded: new Toys that Kill, Fambly – ripping!!!
Favorite Bay Area eatery and dish: Cathead's BBQ. Cornmeal Crusted Tofu. And I'm not even a vegetarian!
Most Commented On
- Of course, yes! I just gave you a link...did you follow it? - May 22, 2013
- So if it's OK for Apple to avoid taxes because it is legal - May 22, 2013
- Can't have the niggers be uppity, - May 22, 2013
- Just to try answering your question, JAW - May 22, 2013
- Thanks for the compliment but I am - May 22, 2013
- Yep, we've had rent control for 34 years and rents are now at - May 22, 2013
- Save taxes? - May 22, 2013
- Can you give an example of someone "threatened" by SFBG? - May 22, 2013
- SCOTUS decides how to interpret the Constitution and that - May 22, 2013
- Yep, the left in SF are always fighting each other. - May 22, 2013