Algerian-born, Bay-based DJ and musicmaker Cheb i Sabbah was an international star with an incredible past. But he will always be known here as a beautiful soul and teacher who incited a true spiritual devotion in his fans. And, as the godfather of the global house movement, he was one of the most creative DJs to coalesce strains of Indian ragga, reggae riddim, African percussion, and more into a wonderfully danceable mix.
A mix, it turns out, that influenced a generation of musicians and dancers and introduced many to the metaphysical joys of a sonic melting pot. His longrunning 1002 Nights weekly Tuesday parties at Nickie's in the Lower Haight and his work with Six Degrees Records enriched SF nightlife and music throughout the 1990s and 2000s.
After he had fought cancer for a long time -- there were several fundraisers for him over the past few years, which helped keep his music flowing -- his family announced his passing this afternoon via his Facebook page. The statement, and some of our favorite tunes, after the jump. We'll miss him greatly.
Dear friends, family, fans and fellow beat followers, it is with a heavy heart that we, Cheb i Sabbah’s family announce his peaceful passing yesterday morning in his home in San Francisco.
He was surrounded by his life partner of over 18 years and is memorialized by his two children and three grand children.
We ask that we be allowed the time to grieve and mourn our loss and will be announcing any memorial services in the near future….. When dusk falls this evening, and the stars begin to swirl, our father is spinning for all the great ones who passed before him and were awaiting his arrival,
Check out one of Cheb i's last sets, from August, here.
Most Commented On
- Take away SF's alleged "world class" status and we are just - August 1, 2014
- People who live in SF and commute elswhere are bad - August 1, 2014
- So good Greg - August 1, 2014
- Please list these latin American countries. - August 1, 2014
- good point - August 1, 2014
- Latin American countrys put Israel on list of "Terrorist States" - August 1, 2014
- We don't have to do things in - August 1, 2014
- NSA surveillance scandal goes full tilt clown - August 1, 2014
- Remember, I'm agreeing with you - August 1, 2014
- SF progressives labor under paradoxes - August 1, 2014