Baker's features a quarter moon-shaped shoreline lined with tide pools and agates that make it one of the best beaches in Humboldt County. Better still, the site is shrouded from sight by greenery. "I go year round and can tell you that it's one of the most beautiful beaches I've seen in the world," says Mike, of Trinidad. "It's really quiet," adds Vince, an Arcata resident. "It's never crowded. And the trail is easy." For a relaxing afternoon of sunbathing, swimming, or exploring, look for this "must visit" cove some 12 miles north of Arcata, off Highway 101.
Apparently owned by the Baker family. Nude use is tolerated.
How to find it:
From Arcata, drive 12 miles north on Highway 101. Take the Westhaven exit to Scenic Drive, then follow Scenic north to a large, vine-covered residence sign and a rusted Private Property marker on the right (look for pulled-over cars). The quarter-mile-long beach path begins 20 yards beyond two mailboxes near the signs.
Sometimes Scenic Drive washes out, so here's another route. Says Mike: "Start north at Trinidad (HUM milepost 101). Scenic starts in Trinidad at the first intersection before the grocery store. Head south on Scenic 1.4 miles to Baker Ranch Road. Pass Baker Ranch but stop at the next driveway past Baker Ranch. Look for a post marking the trailhead to the beach on the west (coast) side of the road and follow it to the beach."
Instead of sand, the beach is mostly composed of sesame seed-sized pebbles.
Crowds have dropped from a few years ago, when local resident Carl Gelden-Meyers counted up to 40 people present on the hottest days. "I've rarely seen more than a dozen persons," reports Mike. "They are mostly mellow college students," says Gelden-Meyers. Some families also visit the site, which gets both nude and suited use.
Car burglaries and gawkers reported in the past.
Select an Area:
Most Commented On
- Interesting report. Though - June 18, 2013
- so, IOW, that "panel" was hopelessly biased towards - June 18, 2013
- JAW, corporations do not pay VAT - they pass it on. - June 18, 2013
- Consider yourself disturbed. - June 18, 2013
- His family situation is irrelevant. Tim was insubordinate and so - June 18, 2013
- Whenever I am searching for - June 18, 2013
- So why do we even hear about - June 18, 2013
- Ireland - June 18, 2013
- No, because most successful people do not cause any problems - June 18, 2013
- Richmondman, obviously if the SFH is a post-79 build then the - June 18, 2013