Baker's features a quarter moon-shaped shoreline lined with tide pools and agates that make it one of the best beaches in Humboldt County. Better still, the site is shrouded from sight by greenery. "I go year round and can tell you that it's one of the most beautiful beaches I've seen in the world," says Mike, of Trinidad. "It's really quiet," adds Vince, an Arcata resident. "It's never crowded. And the trail is easy." For a relaxing afternoon of sunbathing, swimming, or exploring, look for this "must visit" cove some 12 miles north of Arcata, off Highway 101.
Apparently owned by the Baker family. Nude use is tolerated.
How to find it:
From Arcata, drive 12 miles north on Highway 101. Take the Westhaven exit to Scenic Drive, then follow Scenic north to a large, vine-covered residence sign and a rusted Private Property marker on the right (look for pulled-over cars). The quarter-mile-long beach path begins 20 yards beyond two mailboxes near the signs.
Sometimes Scenic Drive washes out, so here's another route. Says Mike: "Start north at Trinidad (HUM milepost 101). Scenic starts in Trinidad at the first intersection before the grocery store. Head south on Scenic 1.4 miles to Baker Ranch Road. Pass Baker Ranch but stop at the next driveway past Baker Ranch. Look for a post marking the trailhead to the beach on the west (coast) side of the road and follow it to the beach."
Instead of sand, the beach is mostly composed of sesame seed-sized pebbles.
Crowds have dropped from a few years ago, when local resident Carl Gelden-Meyers counted up to 40 people present on the hottest days. "I've rarely seen more than a dozen persons," reports Mike. "They are mostly mellow college students," says Gelden-Meyers. Some families also visit the site, which gets both nude and suited use.
Car burglaries and gawkers reported in the past.
Select an Area:
Most Commented On
- JsexxdSzFSWzaupZ - April 19, 2014
- LfuYPsNiHgfUN - April 19, 2014
- XjQKvgZcEqhKG - April 19, 2014
- Life is beautiful. Let's go - April 19, 2014
- XDrcKCEAHuYEFnaEF - April 19, 2014
- Nieto was a nutjob with a gun - April 19, 2014
- The fact that you call the police "scum" shows that you are - April 19, 2014
- So no evidence about this specific case then? - April 19, 2014
- I thought it was a very well-reasoned and informed commentary - April 19, 2014
- MifzLadaGVFAfrHZPyrE - April 19, 2014