Watercraft users who park on the shoreline of this delightful beach are sometimes astonished to see nudists sprawling on the sand. But the show doesn't last long. Once the boaters appear, the naked people usually put on their suits, only to take them off again when they leave.
"Even if there are families there, you'll often see nudists walking on the trails above the beach," says visitor Steve Williams. When the lake is choppy, boaters usually depart, leaving the site free for naturists to appear. "There will instantly be a half dozen naked people," says TAN's North Swanson.
Part of Toiyabe National Forest.
How to find it:
Follow directions to Secret Cove. Stay on the fire road until you arrive at a fork with a sign that says "Private Residence (left) and Beaches (right)." Go right for 50 yards to a trail on the right (marked with a Forest Service Trail sign), which will take you to Boater's. Or, from Secret Cove, take the trail around and over the middle of the cove, through the woods, and over a few boulders (you may have to do a little rock hopping) until you arrive at Boater's. Boater's is about 200 feet from Secret Harbor Creek Beach.
Even when nearby coves become inundated with high water (not a problem this season), in most years Boater's tends to stay quite sandy.
More often than not, suited sunbathers and families come here. "When the weather is right, 95 percent of the people at the beach are clothed," says Swanson. But when they're gone, up to 50 naturists may use the site. "
Non-nudists often present; tight parking (see Hidden Beach).
Select an Area:
Most Commented On
- Oops Greg, you forgot to mention the poll's sponsor this time - December 20, 2013
- Progressives are in power? - December 20, 2013
- I knew that poll was fishy. Now it's beginning to make sense - December 20, 2013
- If these firms are seeing - December 20, 2013
- What agreement? - December 20, 2013
- Progressive Is The New Reactionary - December 20, 2013
- The reason Ed Lee's trying to look like he's doing something - December 20, 2013
- Twitter Is In SF - December 20, 2013
- Ed Lee's at 51%, narrowly leads Ammiano in matchup - December 20, 2013
- Mayor Lee Played This Well - December 20, 2013