Roughly 30 miles south of Carmel, next to a creek near the Big Sur area's Fernwood Resort and its Redwood Grill restaurant, visitors will find a nude swimming hole with some telltale signs of the hippie era of the 1960s."Look for old couches on the riverbank, naked people, and a river," says Fred, of Pacific Grove."Nobody bothers you."
How to find it:
The beach is about a quarter mile north of the Grill and three quarters of a mile north of Pfeiffer Beach (see next entry), so if you pass either, turn around. Just south of the Big Sur River (see previous entry) on Highway 1, look for St. Francis Church and an old sign on the ocean side of the road directing visitors to the bar and grill. Follow the path that starts at the sign; it will take you down to a streamside swimming hole used by local skinny-dippers.
A creekside swimming hole.
"There's usually nobody there," says Fred.
Unknown legal status; needs better directions.
Select an Area:
Most Commented On
- The point with SF is it's supposed (but over-rated) "diversity". - May 22, 2013
- Means Test - May 22, 2013
- I suspect that we cannot "agree" on that since the vast majority - May 22, 2013
- The good news for you is that there are still towns where - May 22, 2013
- Yet another death wish from a "progressive" - May 22, 2013
- Unlikely since a job is needed for a mortgage. - May 22, 2013
- Apple paid all it's CA and US taxes that were due. - May 22, 2013
- Alabama, Mississippi, - May 22, 2013
- With "he who contributes nothing" as a Greek Chorus. - May 22, 2013
- Another reason scandals may occur after an election... - May 22, 2013