Imagine riding down a river in a tube and coming across dozens of naked people in the water or sprawled on the banks. That's the eye-popping event that happens nearly every day in the summer at two swimming holes near Maple Creek and the Salyer Roadside Rest Area, both off Highway 299. The water can be icy, so there are usually far more nudies on the shore than not. Tip: bring old shoes to protect your feet from river rocks, in case you decide to take a dip.
How to find it:
Follow Mad River directions to the town of Blue Lake (see above). Access to Maple Creek, which consists of a few buildings, is via a small road in town. "It's a little ways inland from Blue Lake," reader Douglas Beck says. The same drive can also be made from Kneeland, which can be reached from Arcata. From Highway 101, head up Fickle Hill Road to the Maple Creek exit. Take the exit to where you see cars pulled off, then park and walk upstream past a clothed beach to the nude swimming hole.
Depending on the season, the beach of rocks and sand is next to a small river or stream.
You and a few others may be the only ones here.
Unknown legal status; river rocks; better directions needed.
Select an Area:
Most Commented On
- If your point is that SFUSD is a massively flawed organization - December 4, 2013
- Judge's dire warning to public sector workers - December 4, 2013
- "The real issue is this. Some - December 4, 2013
- Not only has Lilli been purged from SFBG but the "three stooges" - December 4, 2013
- Yeah, i went there about 15 years ago for one very specific - December 4, 2013
- On what basis is the Marsh - December 4, 2013
- True, and in fact if you are in a position to enforce equal - December 4, 2013
- It's a way for white liberals to continue to be racist while - December 4, 2013
- Workers are free to strike at any time anyway. - December 4, 2013
- Paul, your 1% claim is totally bogus - December 4, 2013