Rimmed by a large tract of woods, a Dogwood area field emerged as the USA's first clothing-optional meadow decades ago. Since then, though, there have been few recent reports about its status. From Hagmier Pond (see next entry), expect about a 20-minute walk to the 60-acre site, which is good for picnicking, sunbathing, reading, and relaxing.
GGNRA land managed by Point Reyes National Seashore.
How to find it:
From Stinson Beach, go north on Highway 1, passing Audubon Canyon Ranch on the right and, a half mile later, the Bolinas turnoff. After the four-way intersection, look for a GGNRA sign on the right, followed by a eucalyptus grove. Then check for a tree with a sign for Dogtown. Farther along Highway 1, you'll pass a red barn, a silver windmill, and a second eucalyptus grove. After the grove, when you get to the 12th bend in the road (be sure to count them), look for a group of some 20 eucalyptus trees. Park next to the rocks on either side of the highway. Enter through the lift-up gate in the fence on the east side of the highway, then take an easy, gradually climbing path about 15 or 20 minutes to Starlight, a large meadow in the middle of the trees.
Not exactly a beach per se, but a meadow ringed by a large expanse of woods.
Mostly gay males, but some heterosexual couples also use the meadow. Usage was once as high as 50 people on the hottest summer weekends and as many as 10 on weekdays.
Lack of recent reports; pullover easy to miss; lack of water; some gawkers; sexual activity; trail may be muddy.
Select an Area:
Most Commented On
- So the 73% approval that this - December 19, 2013
- I just can't stand it anymore - December 19, 2013
- Well, You Proved Me Correct, But I Guess It's Your Thing - December 19, 2013
- heh - December 19, 2013
- Teachers don't want SFUSD owned affordable housing - December 19, 2013
- You don't know what you're talking about. - December 19, 2013
- "AESOP Institute:" Perpetual Flimflam Machine - December 19, 2013
- "That may be why the BOS was - December 19, 2013
- I did a bit of research on - December 19, 2013
- Nonsense. BMR housing has limits on resale price. - December 18, 2013