Almost-fabulous intern and alcohol enthusiast Jonathan Beckhardt weighs in on He'Brew....
Despite 5000 years of survival guilt from Noah to Wiesel, Jews have shockingly little presence in the alcohol business. One notable exception: San Francisco's Schmaltz brewing company, makers of the He'brew line of beers.
A few weeks ago, The Guardian published a guide to Christmas beers and, to our embarrassment, we overlooked the Chanukah beer from this outfit, "Monumental Jewbelation". We wish fervently to render reparation here.
In honor of the company's 10th anniversary, the beer tops out at 10% alcohol. That's monstrous, but balanced enough to remain steady. A syrupy texture captures the right amount of bitterness to match the malty flavors in the drink. It's the roasted flavors in this beer, though, that make it the perfect match for your next Christmas ham.
Most Commented On
- The three of them couldn't light a campsite fire between them - March 12, 2014
- Wait, I heard that the fire was the fault of AirBnB? - March 12, 2014
- Yeah, he's just yet another progressive control freak who wants - March 12, 2014
- Also - March 12, 2014
- What a ridiculous argument - - March 12, 2014
- Probably nothing more to it than just an accident; - March 12, 2014
- Insurance - March 12, 2014
- Time to fess up. Greg, - March 12, 2014
- No, it was caused by an Uber - March 12, 2014
- Steven, do you understand the difference between an idea and the - March 12, 2014