Divine intern Sam Devine gets soapy:
Laundry day will be different today. I’m using a new hippy product from Santa Cruz to clean my clothes: Soap Nuts, the soap that grows on trees.
Soap grows on trees?
Yeah, turns out Soap Nuts are the dried fruit of the Chinese Soapberry tree. According to a letter from Maggie’s Pure Land Products, people have been using the cracked apricot looking little bastards to wash clothes for thousands of years.
Now, what I could really use are some laundry quarters grown on trees, but I’ll settle for soap.
Let’s see. Directions. Directions. Ah. “How to Use”
“Put Maggie’s Soap Nuts into the included, reusable cotton sack and close it. Add sack to your washing machine…. Warm/Hot Water – use 2 soap nuts”
Put the nuts in the sack, huh?
Ok. Open the box.
The free gift turns out to be a pair of earrings made from some different type of nut. They’re hidden inside the sack, which has a line drawing of a meditating woman like the one on the cover of the box.
I load the sack and throw it into the washer. The nuts hits the metal washtub and it clangs loud and clear. The concept is enough to make me suck a quick breath through my teeth and grab my boys.
Forty minutes later, the dark clothes come out looking, feeling and smelling clean.
Now for the whites. Let’s see, directions.
“For sparkling whites, add a scoop of oxygen bleach.”
What the fuck is oxygen bleach? Oh well. Here goes the nut sack on my whites.
A few bucks later and everything turns out bright and clean. Hooray for Soap Nuts.
If you want to get some soap nuts, you can go to Rainbow Grocery or the Other Avenues Community Food Store, or you can order from www.maggiespureland.com.
Rainbow Grocery Cooperative
1745 Folsom St.
San Francisco, CA. 94103
Phone: (415) 863-0620
Fax: (415) 863-8955
Most Commented On
- NxPnOIoODTaKUeSUdi - April 17, 2014
- I hope you see my testimonies and also pray for my family too - April 17, 2014
- he's very nice and great a spell caster here is email. obasispel - April 17, 2014
- The point is that you are merely borrowing your home - April 17, 2014
- Straight line thinkers like Greg think that money can only be - April 17, 2014
- Don't confuse Greg with basic facts. - April 17, 2014
- Greg, you're just mixing it up to dry and deflect from being - April 17, 2014
- Greg, we don't live in Mexico and besides, you just said that - April 17, 2014
- Thank you Great Owologbo - April 17, 2014
- Vacancy control and new rent - April 17, 2014