By Beth Gilomen
I'm new to the city and don't know many people yet, so I must admit, I've been browsing the craigslist missed connections for the last two weeks, passively hoping that someone out there wants to meet me. So far, no luck. But here's what I have found: there are a lot of you in San Francisco looking for some love in your lives. I feel for you, and apparently, so do the people running this year's Carnaval San Francisco . The 29th annual bash kicks off this Saturday with the theme Love Happens.
In addition to the usual activities, such as a parade, music, and dancing, this year's celebration of Latin American and Caribbean cultures will feature speed dating (for those of you ready to get off the computer and reconnect with the real world) and weddings/ commitment (or re-commitment) ceremonies. The ceremonies take place right before the parade on Sunday – and, really, what better way is there to celebrate new unions than a community reception like Carnaval?
So, as cliché as this sounds, give your laptop a rest, go outside, and let a little love happen to you this weekend. I'll be out there with you.
P.S. If you're not quite ready to escape the Internet dating circuit, Carnaval SF offers an online dating service as well at www.carnavalsf.com/love .
Most Commented On
- There are PLENTY of taxes on - March 15, 2014
- Yes, marcos is a white male tech worker who helped to gentrify - March 15, 2014
- Exactly - the burbs carry the freight of SF's inability to - March 15, 2014
- When progressives encounter reality and power then they - March 15, 2014
- How is the appreciation on 32 - March 15, 2014
- because it is at all - March 15, 2014
- She ran on the "progressive - March 15, 2014
- SFgate article today says lefty schemes again - March 15, 2014
- True, but if we have to have a new tax then let's make it a - March 15, 2014
- There should be a tax on people who think - March 15, 2014