By Beth Gilomen
I'm new to the city and don't know many people yet, so I must admit, I've been browsing the craigslist missed connections for the last two weeks, passively hoping that someone out there wants to meet me. So far, no luck. But here's what I have found: there are a lot of you in San Francisco looking for some love in your lives. I feel for you, and apparently, so do the people running this year's Carnaval San Francisco . The 29th annual bash kicks off this Saturday with the theme Love Happens.
In addition to the usual activities, such as a parade, music, and dancing, this year's celebration of Latin American and Caribbean cultures will feature speed dating (for those of you ready to get off the computer and reconnect with the real world) and weddings/ commitment (or re-commitment) ceremonies. The ceremonies take place right before the parade on Sunday – and, really, what better way is there to celebrate new unions than a community reception like Carnaval?
So, as cliché as this sounds, give your laptop a rest, go outside, and let a little love happen to you this weekend. I'll be out there with you.
P.S. If you're not quite ready to escape the Internet dating circuit, Carnaval SF offers an online dating service as well at www.carnavalsf.com/love .
Most Commented On
- From what I understand though - December 21, 2013
- Throwing bricks - December 21, 2013
- Rumor has it Gopman lived, by - December 21, 2013
- Why would anyone do something like that? - December 21, 2013
- There are lots of employee shuttles in NYC - December 21, 2013
- Alt-folk singer Michelle Shocked goes on homophobic rant, Yoshi' - December 21, 2013
- The other path to unionization - December 21, 2013
- Really, cool the hyperbole. - December 21, 2013
- come to ny - December 21, 2013
- Shelter is a basic need but - December 21, 2013