By Gazelle Emami
TOMS shoes have been around for a little over a year, but for the bulk of this time, the company has been thriving in boutiques and online through word of mouth. It’s only recently that TOMS have started popping up in Nordstrom, Urban Outfitters, and on Keira Knightley’s feet. Their basic principle is pretty admirable—for every pair that is bought, a pair is given to a child in need. Last October, founder Blake Mycoskie held their first Shoe Drop, where 10,000 shoes were hand-delivered 10,000 to children in Argentina.
A modern take on the Argentinean alpargata, TOMS (short for “Shoes for Tomorrow”) are meant to be worn without socks and come in a range of solid colors and vibrant patterns. And they really do deliver on their self-proclaimed mission to make life more comfortable --. not only philosophically, but literally: the shoes really are pretty damn comfy.
On July 28, TOMS founder Blake Mycoskie is “hosting” over 1000 parties, held simultaneously around the country, to promote TOMS’ cause. Partygoers will design their own pair of white TOMS. So grab your paints and glitter and sign up at www.houseparty.com/tomsapplication.
And if you’d rather a buy a ready-made pair of TOMS, you can visit any of the following stores in San Francisco:
American Rag Cie
1305 Van Ness Ave.
880 Harrison St. Suite 302
845 Market St.
Nordstrom Downtown San Francisco
865 Market St.
80 Powell St.
Most Commented On
- Observations on the term "pigs" - March 16, 2014
- True but he makes it too easy for it to really be - March 16, 2014
- Do you hate gays as much as you hate Asians? - March 16, 2014
- It would be more clear - March 16, 2014
- Referring to the police as "pigs" instantly devalues your - March 16, 2014
- No, Greg, it was a fair question - March 16, 2014
- It's a dilemma for Greg because he hates Asians and loves losers - March 16, 2014
- LOL, Greg trying to defend Asians and chinamen when we all know - March 16, 2014
- NAaXjHtwzrpfIngIoD - March 16, 2014
- Amazon increases Prime’s cost as it turns focus to profit - March 16, 2014