"At first I was really uncomfortable that I was having a retrospective at the de Young," Peaches Christ -- filmmaker, actress, scene goddess, and queen of SF midnight movies -- confided to me recently over free spring rolls and not-free wine spritzers at the Mix in the Castro. "I mean, does that mean I've gone legit? Should I die now? But then I heard that the de Young's board got their panties in a twist when they heard the show was all about me, so I felt much better."
She's a hellion!
Come out this Friday evening to the de Young and experience the gore and glamour that is Peaches Christ, as the Guardian and the de Young host a cavalcade of performances, showcases, costumes, and beyond-imaginable styled wigs inspired by one of the city's most influential doyennes of drag. The evening will be bursting with old-school rabblerousers and excitable children of the night. Drag queens in museums -- what will evolution come up with next? A bird with a people face, or a bear with pants on?
Showcasing films by Joshua Grannell (aka Ms. Christ); costume design by Tria Connell (aka Bea Dazzler); graphic design & poster art by Christopher Hatfield; and wig styling & sculpting by Jose Guzman Colon (Putanesca).
Soundtrack created by Dupuy. Live performances by Evolution Rainbow, the Midnight Mass Players and Ms. Christ.
Celebrity guests include Heklina (creator of Trannyshack) and Martiny (Ms. Christ's flawed sidekick extraordinaire).
Scheduled to appear: Metal Patricia, Honey Spreads, It's Samantha!, Syphillis Diller, Salon, Fauxnique, Renttecca, Fergocity, Hugz Bunny, Gassandra, Peggy L'Eggs, Precious Moments, Cookie Dough, Faux Pas, Tonya Hard-On, Polla Del Mar, Becky Motorlodge, and many more!
Most Commented On
- Negativism and NIMBYism is all that the SFBG has. - March 13, 2014
- Jack Davis - March 13, 2014
- Just because it's a public building does not mean that a mob can - March 13, 2014
- Thinking of the big picture - March 13, 2014
- It's apparently easier to tear people down, than to build up. - March 13, 2014
- Bad journalism - March 13, 2014
- Clarification - March 13, 2014
- Another nail in CCSF's coffin - March 13, 2014
- Yes, let's have a lobby group for not lobbying. - March 13, 2014
- Except that this is a new building and "removes" nobody - March 13, 2014