"At first I was really uncomfortable that I was having a retrospective at the de Young," Peaches Christ -- filmmaker, actress, scene goddess, and queen of SF midnight movies -- confided to me recently over free spring rolls and not-free wine spritzers at the Mix in the Castro. "I mean, does that mean I've gone legit? Should I die now? But then I heard that the de Young's board got their panties in a twist when they heard the show was all about me, so I felt much better."
She's a hellion!
Come out this Friday evening to the de Young and experience the gore and glamour that is Peaches Christ, as the Guardian and the de Young host a cavalcade of performances, showcases, costumes, and beyond-imaginable styled wigs inspired by one of the city's most influential doyennes of drag. The evening will be bursting with old-school rabblerousers and excitable children of the night. Drag queens in museums -- what will evolution come up with next? A bird with a people face, or a bear with pants on?
Showcasing films by Joshua Grannell (aka Ms. Christ); costume design by Tria Connell (aka Bea Dazzler); graphic design & poster art by Christopher Hatfield; and wig styling & sculpting by Jose Guzman Colon (Putanesca).
Soundtrack created by Dupuy. Live performances by Evolution Rainbow, the Midnight Mass Players and Ms. Christ.
Celebrity guests include Heklina (creator of Trannyshack) and Martiny (Ms. Christ's flawed sidekick extraordinaire).
Scheduled to appear: Metal Patricia, Honey Spreads, It's Samantha!, Syphillis Diller, Salon, Fauxnique, Renttecca, Fergocity, Hugz Bunny, Gassandra, Peggy L'Eggs, Precious Moments, Cookie Dough, Faux Pas, Tonya Hard-On, Polla Del Mar, Becky Motorlodge, and many more!
Most Commented On
- Keep waiting - April 17, 2014
- Two legs good; four legs, better. - April 17, 2014
- They are SOL because ordinary people do not have activists and - April 17, 2014
- Yep, 4/20 is for the bridge and tunnel crowd. - April 17, 2014
- The unions should pay this fine - April 17, 2014
- Just want to say your article - April 17, 2014
- Some commenters are more important than others. - April 17, 2014
- It's a myth that "if only" we give the homeless this or that - April 17, 2014
- Aren't their folks that are - April 17, 2014
- Too late - April 17, 2014