Intrepid intern Soo Oh checks out custom countertops that are going to save the world.
By Soo Oh
Eco-friendly home improvement couldn't get classier than Vetrazzo. And by "classier," I mean "glassier." (I can't believe I just wrote that. Intern, get me some coffee! Wait. I am the intern. Damn.) Eight-five percent of Vetrazzo's smooth surfaces are made from recycled glass, the largest source of the company's sources coming from neighborhood curbside recycling programs. The rest of the surfaces are bound with a special blend of "cement, additives, pigments and other recycled materials such as fly ash — a waste by-product of coal burning power plants," according to the web site, which also says that manmade stone countertops contain petroleum-based resin (!).
This color is called Glass House. Make up the rich-people joke for yourself...
Vetrazzo also has selective color palettes (I'll take the Skyy vodka) for discriminating types who prefer marrying their environmental politics with fine aesthetics. Because it's a bit on the pricey side, it's marketed to those of a bourgie sensibility (who else buys custom countertops?), but there's a bonus for visiting the site: Flash animations of people inquisitively looking at Vetrazzo samples as art, then going about enjoying "real life" as mineral water bottles and beer bottles effortlessly sink into plain white surfaces, converting them into snazzy, glassy ones. Sustainability in action! Didn't catch any Red Stripe bottles going down, though. (OK, I'm getting my own coffee now.)
See? Custom eco-countertops make everyone -- including Mother Earth -- happy.
Most Commented On
- Marcos' Judaism is relevant only when it comes to - July 27, 2014
- hqQqnukbsN - July 27, 2014
- mvajoCbAui - July 27, 2014
- GJCvazIKygzr - July 27, 2014
- Extra! Extra! Sunshine advocates beat the Anti-Sunshine Gang in - July 27, 2014
- how i got cure for hiv - July 27, 2014
- One Lorde to rule them all: An evening at the Fox with one - July 27, 2014
- I thought you left - July 27, 2014
- Uber’s secret, “proprietary” insurance policy leaked - July 27, 2014
- dToATdFbknBWTp - July 27, 2014