In honor of our cover story about video art, I've decided to share my favorite videos of the week. Are they worthy of a SFMOMA installation? Probably not. But are they art? I say yes. Here's why:
Mark Lives in IKEA
So comedian/filmmaker Mark Malkoff (famous for going to every Starbucks in Manhattan in one day) decides to move into an IKEA while his apartment gets fumigated. And they let him.
The genius of this? First, that he thought of the idea at all. Second, that he actually convinced IKEA to let him do it. And most importantly, the amount of work and planning it must've taken to compose and edit these "reality" segments (including getting IKEA staff and even his wife involved), which are actually quite funny and endearing. If Mark weren't in New York, already married, and likely to put the whole thing on YouTube, I'd totally hit that - for his brilliance alone (and cuz I like the geeky glasses thing).
Some couple somewhere decide to forego the usual sappy first dance at their wedding for a hilarious choreographed routine to Sir Mix-a-lot.
I realize I may be late to get on this bandwagon, considering Ellen DeGeneres already had this couple on her show in December. But I don't care. I discovered this video a few days ago and I'm in love with it. Need I even explain the art of this? The choreography. The enthusiasm. The sheer joy they both seem to get out of not only doing the dance, but out of surprising their guests. (Honestly, this wouldn't be nearly as good if it looked like one of them was dragging the other along.) And the fact that somehow, the act of doing this seems to prove that these two are good for each other. I'm TOTALLY doing choreography at my wedding.
Most Commented On
- And joysticks for all - July 10, 2014
- Industrial hemp legalized in California - July 10, 2014
- Yesterday, today, and Tomorrow - July 10, 2014
- Airbnb makes small admission on tax issue, saying its hosts - July 10, 2014
- Me too. I like that as well. - July 10, 2014
- ABC7's pedestrian safety coverage courts controversy - July 10, 2014
- I was there. I have to say, - July 10, 2014
- Isn't it the nonprofit - July 10, 2014
- From SF Gate: "The sale will - July 10, 2014
- I like how you specifically - July 10, 2014