By Kimberly Chun
Revelation time: a woman cannot live by Bi-Rite Creamery alone.
And along comes Ici, the Francophile's wet, creamy dream over in Rockridge, right off Ashby. I checked out this lovely, tiled, Gallic-flavored spot recently, on a steamy, humid day - the kind that Bay Area types are never prepared for, sending us scurrying in vain for air-conditioning. The line wound out the door and snaked down the street, but it moved surprisingly quickly. Efficiency and beauty - who could ask for anything more?
Inside what is probably the most stylish and attractive ice cream shop in the Bay, were baked alaskas, bombes, ice cream sandwiches, and an ultra-tempting counter of treats and marbled homemade cones. A gold star for the nice, icy pitcher of sparkling water to sip while you wait.
But, man, it was the ice cream - kitted out in unique flavors - that swayed us and slayed us: verbena, sweet corn and chili, Earl Gray, hazelnut praline, raspberry verbena, pluot sorbet. (Pictured, a shot of mint fudge with burnt caramel sauce.) If I were you, I'd get two delectable scoops in a cone that comes with a truly delish little surprise of a chocolate tip. You've been warned: incoming deliciousness, Ici.
2948 College, Berk.
Most Commented On
- The whole west side is single family homes - May 18, 2013
- I know you guys - May 18, 2013
- Correction: hate=love - May 18, 2013
- So it's ok for trim, athletic - May 18, 2013
- A comment up above reminds me - May 18, 2013
- What's yours? - May 18, 2013
- What's your point? - May 18, 2013
- The thing is in this - May 18, 2013
- Texas has a more dynamic economy and less taxes and - May 18, 2013
- Nope, every employer will take the cheapest worker of the - May 18, 2013