By Kimberly Chun
Revelation time: a woman cannot live by Bi-Rite Creamery alone.
And along comes Ici, the Francophile's wet, creamy dream over in Rockridge, right off Ashby. I checked out this lovely, tiled, Gallic-flavored spot recently, on a steamy, humid day - the kind that Bay Area types are never prepared for, sending us scurrying in vain for air-conditioning. The line wound out the door and snaked down the street, but it moved surprisingly quickly. Efficiency and beauty - who could ask for anything more?
Inside what is probably the most stylish and attractive ice cream shop in the Bay, were baked alaskas, bombes, ice cream sandwiches, and an ultra-tempting counter of treats and marbled homemade cones. A gold star for the nice, icy pitcher of sparkling water to sip while you wait.
But, man, it was the ice cream - kitted out in unique flavors - that swayed us and slayed us: verbena, sweet corn and chili, Earl Gray, hazelnut praline, raspberry verbena, pluot sorbet. (Pictured, a shot of mint fudge with burnt caramel sauce.) If I were you, I'd get two delectable scoops in a cone that comes with a truly delish little surprise of a chocolate tip. You've been warned: incoming deliciousness, Ici.
2948 College, Berk.
Most Commented On
- Poor progressives cannot win. If they stay pure, they achieve - March 15, 2014
- Yeah, the CCSF teachers really looked dumb when they took such - March 15, 2014
- No they don't. They become - March 15, 2014
- Watching the video, it - March 15, 2014
- There are PLENTY of taxes on - March 15, 2014
- Yes, marcos is a white male tech worker who helped to gentrify - March 15, 2014
- Exactly - the burbs carry the freight of SF's inability to - March 15, 2014
- When progressives encounter reality and power then they - March 15, 2014
- How is the appreciation on 32 - March 15, 2014
- because it is at all - March 15, 2014