EARLY TAKES ON THE LATEST RESTAURANT OPENINGS, Part One
Each of these restaurants opened within the last few weeks (the rest to come next week). I've had the chance to make initial visits and provide an early take on these new, buzzed about spots. Of course, more visits to come, realizing each needs time to settle in and claim their identity on our dense culinary map.
Baker and Banker
I've long missed lush brunches at a former occupant of 1701 Octavia Street, The Meetinghouse ... thankfully, we can still get their famed biscuits by the box at Sweet Jo's. The space then became one of our city's Italian greats, Quince, which recently moved to the FiDi, garnering a coveted 3.5 stars from the Chronicle's Mr. Bauer. With such tough acts to follow, forgive me if I didn't have overly high expectations of brand new Baker and Banker. My mistake.
Certainly the husband and wife chef team bring rich experience as chef and pastry chef respectively. But seeing (or tasting, in this case) is believing. He's (Jeff) Banker and she's the Baker (Lori Baker, to be precise). Nightly dinner is the mainstay, but soon they'll open a bakery on the premises - I'min!
Most Commented On
- Professional Drivers Require Insurance - March 10, 2014
- Anyone driving professionally should have insurance but that - March 10, 2014
- Uber is bad for San Francisco - March 10, 2014
- If crime moves away that is almost as good as crime going away. - March 10, 2014
- Streetsblog views holding - March 10, 2014
- Less crime? - March 10, 2014
- Oh my gosh THANK YOU! You - March 10, 2014
- The "The Trees" by Rush - March 10, 2014
- Never had any need to. - March 10, 2014
- I saw the video and it is - March 10, 2014