Text and photos by Caitlin Donohue
These dogs don't bite
We love the upscale hot dog joint. Artisan fixings, hefty sausages, microbrews- the dog has been having its day at neighborhood favorites like Underdog and Rosamunde, and now wieners are getting their due in the Tenderloin as well.
At Showdogs, even the vegetarians will leave happy. The Field Roast Vegetarian dog is a beaut; a hearty, almost beefy “sausage” topped with a mountain of crisp, colorful coleslaw and house-made mustard. “We don’t use any refined sugar here, so we sweeten the coleslaw with agave,” says manager Seth Carter. The result is a slaw that sits light on the tongue, but still pays homage to its Southern roots.
Windows perfect for the people parade outside
Wedged into a stretch of town known more for colorful street life and discount beauty supply stores than its cuisine, Showdogs seems an unlikely place to find fancy sausages. But their menu-11 dogs made of ingredients from organic duck to wild boar each with a suggested pairing from their enviable selection of beers on tap- has made the spot a favorite mid-Market hangout. The dining room is bright, with massive windows perfect for watching the street milieu or just mooching off the free Wifi. Even our lovely Mayor has made the trek over from City Hall to announce his ongoing efforts to “clean up” this part of the ‘Loin, perhaps signaling the pivotal role the little dog shop could play in the neighborhood’s future.
How to get it cheaper... and pretty ancilliary art work after the jump.
Most Commented On
- OjzityDRCznH - July 26, 2014
- mrZCimeLROuMX - July 26, 2014
- Track record - July 26, 2014
- IXmOYHVCjoQGYm - July 26, 2014
- Airbnb makes small admission on tax issue, saying its hosts - July 26, 2014
- Uber’s secret, “proprietary” insurance policy leaked - July 26, 2014
- Toxic Turf. - July 26, 2014
- ZpoyYPMxgxyVWaj - July 26, 2014
- FXbMIGeEyTf - July 26, 2014
- A green San Francisco? - July 26, 2014