By Marke B.
Via Boing Boing, this video was posted by Mike Haeg on his blog. It's an amazingly well-put-together feature-length documentary of the famed 1975 Artists' soap box derby, benefitting the SFMOMA. The doc was made in 1977 by Amanda Pope, and the vehicles are the parents of today's rough and tumble art cars. (For more Burning Man prescience, listen for the sound clip from participant David Best, the guy who makes all those beautiful playa temples...)
The quotes therein are delicious. Says Mike: "I stumbled across and purchased an actual print of this film back in SF while working on a project for the SFMOMA. Amanda Pope did a great job capturing the spirit of creativity and the event itself. I wonder where all of these cars are today?"
I wonder most about the banana, and the hot bearded guy in the Berkeley bakery. Soap box!
Most Commented On
- you're being short sighted, - May 21, 2013
- Don't use children as an excuse for your own hangups - May 21, 2013
- "So which is it? Are the rich - May 21, 2013
- Fracking is becoming SOP everywhere. - May 21, 2013
- It's about ROI, dummy. - May 21, 2013
- He was a great church - May 21, 2013
- I didn't say housing wasn't expensive. - May 21, 2013
- Greg, you protesteth a tad too much. - May 21, 2013
- By funds do you mean time, - May 21, 2013
- fracking - May 21, 2013