By Marke B.
Via Boing Boing, this video was posted by Mike Haeg on his blog. It's an amazingly well-put-together feature-length documentary of the famed 1975 Artists' soap box derby, benefitting the SFMOMA. The doc was made in 1977 by Amanda Pope, and the vehicles are the parents of today's rough and tumble art cars. (For more Burning Man prescience, listen for the sound clip from participant David Best, the guy who makes all those beautiful playa temples...)
The quotes therein are delicious. Says Mike: "I stumbled across and purchased an actual print of this film back in SF while working on a project for the SFMOMA. Amanda Pope did a great job capturing the spirit of creativity and the event itself. I wonder where all of these cars are today?"
I wonder most about the banana, and the hot bearded guy in the Berkeley bakery. Soap box!
Most Commented On
- Vegan lesbian heirloom mushroom collective? Tee hee. - March 13, 2014
- Only an idiot who knows - March 13, 2014
- "Alt?" - March 13, 2014
- No, the city doesn't give any money to corporations. - March 13, 2014
- When is Mar termed out? - March 13, 2014
- March On City Hall! - March 13, 2014
- Another legislative initiative courtesy of Eric Mar's daughter - March 13, 2014
- My guess is that he just likes regressive taxes - March 13, 2014
- Why stop at soda? Shouldn't - March 13, 2014
- It's not about being poor. It's about being stupid. - March 13, 2014