By Robyn Johnson
Fly-by-night no more? Photo from SF Eater
First off, if you haven’t taken the Mission Street Food ride, then you should. Every Thursday and Saturday night, Lung Shan Restaurant, normally a modest-to-divey Chinese food establishment located off Mission and 18th Street, transforms a la Cinderella into a singular dining adventure. A dimly lit ambience with strings of red, white lights strung along the wall below oddly works in harmony with the kitschy Oriental tableaux. Diners are seated family style, due to the long lines and cramped space, so you might find yourself making a few new friends.
And each day rotating guest chefs craft a unique menu that aspires to the innovative, fun, and cheap. Gourmetification of so-called low-brow foods are the delicious norm; for example this Thursday, in honor of the Superbowl, you can order Frito Pie, which their site describes as “smoked short rib and beef tongue chili with Frito crust with a [vegetarian] option of smoked scallion and pasilla chili with Rancho Gordo Pinto Beans.”
If all this wasn’t unconventional enough, Mission Street Food donates all its profits to charity, about $22,000 in its first year of operation. And now, they want to go full-time. Like their current business model—symbiotically renting space from a restaurant that couldn’t afford to stay open seven days week—the venture has an equally unique idea to front the capital needed to create a permanent restaurant. Husband and wife team Anthony Myint and Karen Leibowitz are asking for 100 investors to each pay $500, with a promise of annual dividends around $70. At any time the investor can cash out for $1000 worth of gift certificates redeemable at the restaurant. It’s just crazy enough to work.
Most Commented On
- you understand that your awful misuse of apostrophes - June 19, 2013
- But home prices should be based on rents because - June 19, 2013
- Yes, Tim, there are very few hooker ad's on SFBG now. - June 19, 2013
- You cannot know how many "progressive voters" are not reached - June 19, 2013
- Yes, Tim was a gentleman and others on the left wanted him to be - June 19, 2013
- The left is renowned for hating each other more than their - June 19, 2013
- That depends how you define" nightlife". - June 19, 2013
- David Faulk, maybe the real lesson here is that discounting - June 19, 2013
- Candy, you need to understand the golden rule. - June 19, 2013
- They aren't homes anymore - June 19, 2013