A dark movie house is a great thing. Single? Slink in and bury yourself in the tumultuous happenings of others’ lives. Hot and heavy with a special someone? Gangbusters- find a nice secluded spot in the back row and try not to gross out the single people. Whatever your mood/Facebook relationship status is this Valentine’s Day weekend, the city’s movie theaters have a love-related flick for you and (if that’s where you’re at these days) yours. Grab some buttered popcorn and take a peep.
“A Valentine’s Day Weekend Tribute to John Hughes”
‘80s babies, I need go no further. The 16 Candles/The Breakfast Club/Pretty in Pink triple feature on Saturday provides ample time to get busy… or have a good cry. Again, whatever you’re into. Hughes is going to put your love of love back into you, at any rate.
Fri/12 7:30 pm. (through Sat/13), $10/day
429 Castro, SF
Rocky Horror Picture Show
A formative force in many an adolescent’s budding sex lives, this week’s Rocky will feature a lingerie show that teenagers cannot participate in and the standard singing, vamping and pratfalling that they can, and will. Find your love in fishnets and golden hot pants?
Sat/13 12 a.m., $10
3200 Grand, Oakland
Look… if Woody Allen can swing Diane Keaton, even temporarily, there’s hope for everyone. This movie approaches Closer on my list of top don’t-watch-with-your-boo-things-will-get-weird flicks, but by all means view in the midst of breakup- see, someday you’ll be able to chat intellectually over coffee too!
Fri/12-Sun/14 7:15 p.m., 9:20 p.m. (also 2 p.m., 4 p.m. on Sat and Sun), $7-9
Red Vic Movie House
1727 Haight, SF
Beach Blanket Bingo
Annette loves Frankie! Bonnie loves Steve! Erik Von Zipper loves Sugar Kane! Wait, South Dakota Slim loves Sugar Kane? Plus they’re all sky diving? With 1960s technology? Oh my, but love can be complicated. The showing is brought to us by portable retro movie cabaret Thrillville and features old skool cartoons, previews, ukulele variety artist Kitten on the Keys, and a performance by Donna Loren, member of BBB’s original cast and sweetheart songstress of that most tumultuous decade.
Sun/14 7:30 p.m., $10
3630 Balboa, SF
Most Commented On
- Just pointing out that your statement wasn't logical. - May 21, 2013
- Proving my point - May 21, 2013
- You sound like a television - May 21, 2013
- Greg, I know someone who works at UCSF and they get - May 21, 2013
- No, this 2-day "discomfort" will solve nothing because - May 21, 2013
- If the UCSF profit had been less, it would have been more than - May 21, 2013
- Here's another metaphor. - May 21, 2013
- Ideology always trumps necessity with aomeone like Greg. - May 21, 2013
- Yes, DB pensions are what ruined GM and several other - May 21, 2013
- Greg, again with the "yellow peril" bullshit? - May 21, 2013