The Coen Brothers' Blood Simple (1984) is the obvious corollary for this coolly humorous Danish import, though director/co-writer Henrik Ruben Genz's firmly dampened-down thriller of sorts is also touched by David Lynch's parochial surrealism and Aki Kaurismäki's backwater puckishness.
Happy isn't quite the word for handsome, seemingly upstanding cop Jakob (Robert Hansen), reassigned from the big city of Copenhagen to a tiny village in South Jutland. There he slowly learns that the insular and self-sufficient locals are accustomed to fixing problems on their own and that cows, trucks, and other troubles have a way of conveniently disappearing into the bog. When buxom blonde Ingerlise (Lene Maria Christensen) whispers to him that her husband Jørgen (Kim Bodnia) beats her, Jakob begins to find his moral ground slipping away from him — while his own dark secrets turn out to be not so secret after all. More of a winkingly paranoid, black-hearted comedy about the quicksand nature of provincial community and small-town complicity than a genuine murder mystery, Terribly Happy wears its inspirations on its sleeve, but that doesn't stop this attractively-shot production from amusing from start to finish, never tarrying too long to make a point that it gets mired in the bog that swallows all else.
Bonus Danish poster:
Most Commented On
- Most people who calim to not like Pacific Heights or the Marina - May 24, 2013
- It's one set of plutocrats trying to elbow out another set of - May 24, 2013
- Most attempts by the left to micro-manage the population here - May 24, 2013
- Yep, exactly Chris, I think we all know that something high-end - May 24, 2013
- It's family income that counts for means testing and so - May 24, 2013
- A nicely composed comment, - May 24, 2013
- Put it this way. The unit I let for $1,200 a month in 1994 now - May 24, 2013
- The Vote Would Have No Effect On the Use Of the Triangle - May 24, 2013
- Yep, you nailed me, I'm not the original Eddie. - May 24, 2013
- Central Subway will be a success because it links a number - May 24, 2013